PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 Tubing - Trees near Collection Line - no mechanical vacuum

WhistlePig
01-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Hello Folks,

I am wondering what to do about trees that are close to collection lines that do not have desired elevation for a 3/16 gravity system.

I have 3/16" laterals running up a steep slope that averages 30 degrees. I have 3/4" collection lines running across and gently up the slope that do not have mechanical vacuum.

If I tap a tree say 5' from the collection line, will it diminish the vacuum up the entire lateral?
Say I do tap that tree, but then have a pretty good distance between it and the next tap, such that I have 30' of elevation, will the rest of the line have good vacuum?
Would I be better off just to do short lateral from that tree to a saddle in the collection line?

Geeky diagram;

From the geeky diagram above, on a 30 degree slope, any tree 57' or less from the collection line will not have 30 feet of elevation. If I accept less than optimal vacuum, and set a standard of say, 20' of elevation, then I still should not tap any tree 45' or less from the line.

Thanks, Joel

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Tap them even if only a few feet above your main line. They will not change the vacuum further up the hill.

BSD
01-28-2018, 06:36 PM
I agree, tap them, some vacuum is better than no vacuum and to the best of my knowledge they won't affect the up-hill taps vaccum.

WhistlePig
01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys!

markcasper
01-29-2018, 11:42 PM
Hello Folks,

I am wondering what to do about trees that are close to collection lines that do not have desired elevation for a 3/16 gravity system.

I have 3/16" laterals running up a steep slope that averages 30 degrees. I have 3/4" collection lines running across and gently up the slope that do not have mechanical vacuum.

If I tap a tree say 5' from the collection line, will it diminish the vacuum up the entire lateral?
Say I do tap that tree, but then have a pretty good distance between it and the next tap, such that I have 30' of elevation, will the rest of the line have good vacuum?
Would I be better off just to do short lateral from that tree to a saddle in the collection line?

Geeky diagram;

From the geeky diagram above, on a 30 degree slope, any tree 57' or less from the collection line will not have 30 feet of elevation. If I accept less than optimal vacuum, and set a standard of say, 20' of elevation, then I still should not tap any tree 45' or less from the line.

Thanks, Joel

You know if you were tapping buckets, the trees that you have in question regarding whether to tap or not would be the first ones you'd desire to tap.

Super Sapper
01-30-2018, 05:24 AM
As long as you stick to about 25 taps per lat you should not overload the line and should be good. If you have too many taps on a lat it will affect the vac.