PDA

View Full Version : Head tank question

Sly41985
01-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Are there any cheaper tanks you can get away with using for a year or two before you buy a stainless steel tank. I upgraded my evaporator to a 2x6 but dont have the money to dish out to buy even a 100gal stainless tank. Plastic or galvanized open tanks fro tractor supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

maplemas
01-27-2018, 04:38 AM
You could use a ibc cage tank . Usually find a 275 gallon tank on Craigslist for around 100$ cut the top off and they are easy to clean

mudr
01-27-2018, 06:19 AM
My current setup is a 55 gallon drum up in the trusses. Have not run it yet, but have seen a number of setups like that. Would like stainless some day. I will feed into that from the milk tank that sits outside on the ground.

I got picked on by some other local sugar makers because it is a good 7 ft above my pans, but it saves space and was easy. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

maple flats
01-27-2018, 07:44 AM
If you use the cage tote idea (IBC) be sure of what it contained before. Do not think you can safely remove non food contaminates from the pores. Once used IBC totes that had cooking oils, mild fruit juice concentrates (I used one once that originally contained vanilla extract, vanilla is one of the subtle flavors in maple syrup) and such are good.
Then wash it out completely.

Haynes Forest Products
01-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Sly go on line and look up Potable water tanks. The sky is the limit when it comes to food safe poly tanks. I know from experience that anything you but that buy that is of good quality will be around you sugar shack for a long time. As you grow it will be used down the line in a different application. When you outgrow your head tank it might be your finish syrup storage so don't skimp if possible.

Head tanks get slimy and you want something that is easy to clean. I had a poly tank that mounted in the rafters and it was a nightmare to clean. Because it had a small screw lid I couldn't scrub it out or power wash it so it did become the weak link in my quest for good sanitation. Then when I went to an RO cleaning concentrate out was impossible so I went to a open top SS dairy tank and its a 2 minuet job to clean and sanitize.

wnybassman
01-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Head tanks get slimy and you want something that is easy to clean. I had a poly tank that mounted in the rafters and it was a nightmare to clean. Because it had a small screw lid I couldn't scrub it out or power wash it so it did become the weak link in my quest for good sanitation.

Yes they do get slimy!! Very gross nasty smelly snotty slimy!! Found that out the hard way. I used a 55 gals drum, but cut the top right off and cut the top again so it kinda nests inside the part I use as a tank. So it still has a top on it, but I can undo a couple unions in the plumbing, drop the barrel down off the shelf I have it on and take that top off to clean it very easily.

SeanD
01-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Ditto on the food grade/safe 55 gallon drum. Again, make sure you can verify its contents. You can get those for somewhere around $25. Dollar for dollar, the IBC tote is a better deal, but it might be overkill for your head tank - although I see you are planning a huge expansion. I also kept mine up in the rafters and decided it was a PITA - hard to clean, sits in the hottest part of the sugarhouse, constant dripping from condensation. It's now outside on a platform.

NY Maple
01-28-2018, 08:27 AM
You could try this:

https://www.behlencountry.com/product/224-poly-round-end-tank-approx-100-gal/

I think they are sold at tractor supply for about $80.

We have used on for the last couple of years, it has worked well.

Haynes Forest Products
01-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Those are a nice alternative. I used them for collection tanks in the woods and made some metal covers to keep the critters out. Easy to clean and store upside down for the off season.

Bucket Head
01-28-2018, 07:14 PM
I have a 55gal. poly drum on the wall very much like WNYBassman's set up. It was only supposed to be temporary, for our first year in the sugarhouse- the plan was to have a tank of some sort in the attic right above the evaporator. But after seeing how well it worked, coming up with another set up just didn't seem worth it. And being able to see through it (like Bassman's) was an added bonus. Knowing exactly what you have in there at all times is a good thing!

Sugarmaker
01-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Good used dairy milk tanks can be good head tanks. I have 4 of them. they were from 50 cents to 1.00 per gallon. They clean up real nice and have large lids to get in a clean. My neighbor found a 90 gallon one man is it cute and makes a great head tank. I like the old late 50's dari-kool brand. Getting hard to find as more and more farmers/ farms are gone. Plasting is the next best but get a leg tank and get a large opening for easier cleaning.
Regards,
Chris

Tweegs
01-29-2018, 09:14 AM
You could try this:

https://www.behlencountry.com/product/224-poly-round-end-tank-approx-100-gal/

I think they are sold at tractor supply for about $80.

We have used on for the last couple of years, it has worked well.

I’ll ditto this.
It is what I use.
But my experience is that Tractor supply does not carry the Behlen line.
Best to go to the site and find a distributor from there.
Chances are you’ll have to order it and pay a small shipping charge.
On the upside…food grade.

Also, I can personally attest that these things are nearly indestructible.
Last year, I pulled the thing down from its perch for a pre-season cleaning.
I underestimated many a-thing during this misadventure which resulted in the tank crashing to the floor with me atop of it.
I was only moderately scuffed and the tank suffered not a scratch.

So, if a 200# bag of mostly frozen meat were ever to fall on your tank, from a height of say 6 feet, I can personally assure you that the tank will survive.

Something to be said, right there. :lol:

Sly41985
02-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot guys!!!!! I do appreciate at. The comments they are super helpful! Might try to pick up a few of those behlen tanks!