PDA

View Full Version : Nearup?

Hunt4sap
01-26-2018, 09:02 PM
So I'm trying a different approach this year (2nd yr tapping)

Once drawn " nearup" off of wood burning evaporator outside I'm stockpiling hopefully about 3 gallons in food grade plastic buckets with gasketed lids in fridge then once I get that amount finish all in one day on stove in kitchen, filter and bottle.
Raw sap needs evaporated within 48hrs

My question is, how long will this" nearup" last in my method I'm using( maybe 3-4 days?)

wnybassman
01-26-2018, 10:03 PM
If kept cool it will easily keep several days, and much longer. I have had sweet left in the evaporator for a couple weeks or so before boiling again.

Hunt4sap
01-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Man I wish I could do that my sugar house doesn't have a roof yet just walls and I don't have a cover for my Pan's so I could not leave it like that for even one day for fear that a bird could poop in it or some other Critter could get into it my Sugar Shack is still in the making with just a dirt floor and four walls, but thanks for the info!!!

wnybassman
01-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Man I wish I could do that my sugar house doesn't have a roof yet just walls and I don't have a cover for my Pan's so I could not leave it like that for even one day for fear that a bird could poop in it or some other Critter could get into it my Sugar Shack is still in the making with just a dirt floor and four walls, but thanks for the info!!!

I had a rig outside for many years, and I made up a cover out of raw sheet aluminum for it to let the sweet sit for as long as I needed it to. I think I let that freeze up for a couple weeks before too. A few bricks on top and nothing was getting in.