PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer not floating. Help!

Bobbybreach
01-26-2018, 05:29 AM
I boil on a 2x4 then draw off into a pot and then finish on a propane turkey fryer. I’m running into some problems. First off my syrup is extremely cloudy. I’m guessing I need to filter it more? And I’ve also gotten the syrup up to temperature but my hydrometer still doesn’t float. It still just sits on the bottom. What should I do?

asknupp
01-26-2018, 05:31 AM
Keep boiling. It's still not there.

Flatpan1
01-26-2018, 05:35 AM
Make sure the hydro is not cracked. If it’s good keep boiling

tcross
01-26-2018, 06:18 AM
the temperature reading is basically just telling you, you are getting closer to syrup. your hydrometer will tell you when you actually have syrup. keep boiling it... it'll get there.

sandpuppy02
01-26-2018, 06:26 AM
How do you like the Mason 2x4 as I just got one this year. Are you using a RO as well?

Bobbybreach
01-26-2018, 06:54 AM
I’m using a 275gal oil tank as my arch that I made with a 2x4 smoky lake continuous flow pan. No RO

maple flats
01-26-2018, 07:05 AM
How low is the hydrometer when it bottoms out? Has it ever been dropped into the test vessel instead of lowered in slowly? As long as it has not been dropped in (that can move the paper scale) and you have enough depth, you simply need to boil more. Temperature is not a very good way to decide when it is ready. As the barometer changes so does the boiling point of water. I've noted on my auto draw that sometimes the right draw temp is 219.4 and at other times it can be as high as 221.6 to get the proper density and those are just the extremes I remember from last season.

wnybassman
01-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Like I tell everybody, I never made syrup until I bought my first hydrometer. For years I boiled until I reached 217.5º or a little more depending on barometer. I am at 1300' elevation and water boils here at about 210.5º. Anyway, the first time I used a hydrometer I had to take the temp up to over 221º and close to 222º for the hydrometer to float at finished syrup. Not sure if it was the inaccuracy of the thermometer or what it was, but I amazed how far away from actual syrup I had been up to that point.

Bobbybreach
01-26-2018, 04:09 PM
So basically I can’t go by the thermometer. Should I just constantly check it with the hydrometer until it’s ready?

maple flats
01-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Yes, but the syrup must be at the right temp too. A hydrometer is only accurate if used at 209+F or 60F (those are the 2 red lines on the hydrometer. Aside from those 2 ref. points you need to calculate or use a chart or use an Accu-cup (and chart), or use a Murphy cup or Murphy float. Any of those methods will get you to the correct density.

johnallin
01-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Here is a chart published by Maple Guys. It tells you what your hydrometer should read based upon the temperature of your syrup sample.
You need to know the temperature of your sample to use your hydrometer accurately. I think lots of folks miss this part...
Hope this is helpful.

bigschuss
01-29-2018, 05:08 AM
So basically I can’t go by the thermometer. Should I just constantly check it with the hydrometer until it’s ready?

Yes, when boiling on your turkey fryer keep checking often. You also said that you had extremely clouding syrup? Not sure about that one? Does it smell "off?"

Bobbybreach
01-29-2018, 05:59 AM
so I got it all figured out. the cloudiness is from boiling it a second time. I draw off my pan early and then finish on the stove. once I filtered again it looked 10x better. im only using cone filters so its not perfect but night and day difference from before filtering to after filtering.

Yes, when boiling on your turkey fryer keep checking often. You also said that you had extremely clouding syrup? Not sure about that one? Does it smell "off?"

DrTimPerkins
01-29-2018, 07:50 AM
so I got it all figured out. the cloudiness is from boiling it a second time.

Anytime you heat syrup above 190 deg F you can form niter. That is why syrup packing is done between 180-190 deg F. Hot enough to kill microbes, but not so hot that you form new niter.