PDA

View Full Version : Maple boards

HanginAround
05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Cousin Dave and I put some pine on the walls in the front room of the building where they market and bottle, etc... in one corner we did it with maple boards that he had sawn, and then built kind of a display in that corner, a few artifacts. Here's a couple pics of the boards complete with lots of tap holes. Surprising how much impact they have on the tree as far as discolouration in the wood 6-8" or more above and below the hole. Also surprising how close some of them are together, because you can't see them when your tapping after a few years. These were tapped for approximately 18 years until that part of the property was sold and the wood cut off it.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6227/hpim1401vq5.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5661/hpim1403yj8.jpg

maple flats
05-24-2007, 05:01 AM
It sure looks like the over 3" and up or down six was not followed, especially on the second from the right in the upper pic. There sure looks like some sap potential was lost. I hope I am doing better but have none right now I want to cut to test it. In a couple of years I have 1 to be thinned to open up the area for more sun and will saw it at that time to find out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

ennismaple
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Great pics! I wish a couple people who've tapped for us in the past would see this and realize that I'm not just being a pain when I insist on proper taphole spacing.

One of the larger producers near us just opened up a restaurant this spring and used maple that was killed during the '98 Ice Storm for the flooring. You could see some stain columns but not near as many as in your pics.

HanginAround
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
The problem with spacing is that after a couple years, you can't see the old holes anymore.

maple flats
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
If you always follow the same pattern you should only need to see the last 2 seasons holes to show your pattern. Always go clockwise or counter clockwise from last years but not one way on one tree ant the opposite way on others.

Sugarmaker
05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Hangin,
Very nice pictures thanks,
I would love to have some boards like that in the sugarhouse!

Regards,
Chris

royalmaple
05-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Pete-

Did the staining continue the same all the way through the wood, or is that mostly the outer boards just inside the bark?

It would be neat to know how far in the staining effected the tree, and does it stop at the tap hole depth from year to year?

Definately neet pics.

802maple
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
If you pay attention to the healing process of a tree the scar shows up for a long time, well after the hole is healed and disapeared

HanginAround
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Maple flats, that is a good plan for sure... I just don't know anyone in real life that ever followed it LOL. In addition, I think with the deep taps (2"-3") of the past, and very slow growth rate in this region, I think you would get lots of overlap over 20 yrs.

Royal, The staining ends with the taphole as far as I can see. I suspect that these holes were most of the way through the sapwood anyway.

Thanks for all the comments.

Russell Lampron
05-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Nicely done! It makes me want to go out and have a tree that blew down at my parents house sawed up to see if I could get some boards like that. They would look good on the walls of a bar in my basement. I could admire them while drinking "boiling sodas" and polishing my Harley.

Russ

andyp
05-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Nice pics makes me feel like I should cut one of the maples,and put it on the mill, and saw it up to finish the sugar house. But woe to he that cuts a sugar maple.

super sappy
05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I just finished installing a distressed hicory kitchen. The streaking in the hickory is similar to the boards shown in the pics. I do not know why tapped trees have not cought on as a common commercial cabinet wood. These hickory cabinets are real popular around here. Maybe if they cought on then people would be more willing to let me tap the trees without affecting the lumber value. If I can get pics I will . I think that the tapped maple is an exciting wood to look at. I do however think that it is a poor choice for flooring as the holes will catch dirt and grime, But in a vertical application I think it is great and fun to look at. - ss married 17 years today to the same woman.............

Sugarmaker
05-27-2007, 09:02 AM
SS,
Happy Anniversary!
I like to look of hickory cabinets also but the Cheryl likes the more traditional oak look. If we ever replace the kitchen we will see who wins out on that call.
(we have had some give and take on decisions like this over the last 35 years of marriage):)

Chris