PDA

View Full Version : New to vacuum systems

Gratefulmaple
01-24-2018, 02:11 PM
So I aquired 2 vacuum pumps from a friend that I’m buying his maple businesss from. One is a delaval 74 pump and the other is a gast pump not sure what model. The woods he has is about 150 taps with 700 or so ft of 3/4 main and a sap ladder. Mine will be around 300 taps with 250 on 5/16 and the other 50 on 3/16 with 1800 ft total of main line. No idea which pump to put where and if I should install oil reclaimers. Any one have advice or know the model off hand of the gast pump? Included pics below. Thanks in advance Jordan

blissville maples
02-01-2018, 11:33 AM
I have two delaval which I used to use, one is a delaval 74 the other a VP 78. The 74 is a nice compact pump I was running a sugarbush with 800 taps and it did it with no problem with plenty of squirrel chews so it has some cfm, I actually had to create a makeshift vacuum regulator because the pump wanted to go over 22". I find that anything over 18 or so and they start over heating. For a small pump it's impressive.

I am not familiar with the gast pumps so personally i would use the delaval 74. Mine I aquired with a one gallon gas tank off an lawnmower for oil reservoir and it t'd into both bearings. I ran it getting just a little oil not too much. And the extra I out a 90 on the exhaust directing the oil it spits out into a bucket to reuse. So for me it was just a matter of setting the dripper, or valve in my case, so I didn't run out of oil before I got there next which wasn't hard once I used it for a while and figured it out. For the $750 I paid for it it got me through three seasons and work great, however they will not get you to high vacuum.