PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Guidance

HondoLane
01-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Hello,

Been kicking the idea of getting into the maple sugar hobby for sometime now. Been reading and watching as much reference material as I can. We plan on starting small and keeping it small scale here in NE Pennsylvania. I figure this is the year to give it a go and since we just moved to a new home with some land we may just have a little luck.

I am looking at tapping 3-4 trees and there are no leaves this time of year. Attached are some pictures of the bark and one shot of the branches with appear to be opposite. All of the trees are displaying the opposite branching. I know it is easier with the leaves but want to be sure before the prime time hits here in mid Feb. I am figuring each tree is about 50+" circumference and appear to be healthy.

Any help and advice would GREATLY be appreciated and I thank you in advance for your support!!

Mark B
01-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Definitely opposite branching and are maples. #1 I'm not sure, could be sugar, but 2 and 4 look more like reds. 50" circumference = approx 17" diameter. Once you get up to 18"+diameter or about 55" circumference on a good healthy tree, 2 taps should be fine

maple flats
01-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Are those pictures recent? What concerns me is the apparent large bud at the tips of many of the branches. Maples will not have such a bud show this early, especially, a sugar maple. The soft maples like Reds and Silvers get the bud earlier, but still not this early.
I have issue with those, I wonder if they are some sort of nut tree, many of which also have opposite branching. That being said, the picture with your hand showing the side plate peal certainly appears to be a mature sugar maple. Unless the picture of the top branches is the same tree.
Also a sugar maple would have far more dense branching. If you look at the pic of the branches the one in the foreground is not, but looking thru to the adjacent tree branches that may well be a maple.

lyford
01-24-2018, 09:04 AM
I tap primarily reds. Many of my reds have had buds like that since November and they do every year. Other reds have much smaller buds until spring time. Seems as though theres quite a bit of variability in bud size even among the same species. I agree, however, with buds that size at this time of year thats not a sugar. I'd tap 'em if it were me.

maple flats
01-24-2018, 04:12 PM
A second thing that make me think those are not reds or sugars is that the branch density on the closeup of the top, a healthy maple has more branches.
I have a few reds I tap, and none of them have upper limbs that look like that, but I have butternuts the do.

Maplebrook
01-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Looks like reds to me. Look around on the ground for old leaves is another clue.

HondoLane
01-25-2018, 06:47 PM
All good points. Snow has melted away. I'm going to look at the leaves on the ground tomorrow. I will try to get better pictures of the branches.

Run Forest Run!
01-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Welcome HondoLane! My silver maples look just like your photos do - shaggy bark and large open canopies. They constantly shed branches with every wind storm. Kind of a lawn clean-up pain, however, they have been excellent sap producers for me over the years. One of them even gives me 6% sugar in the sap when the conditions are good. Tap those trees, just make sure that you are getting into the good wood of the tree as the shaggy bark can be pretty thick. ENJOY!!!

The buds on the silver maples are large even in November, so don't be worried that they look fat in January. I usually pull my silver maple taps about a week before the sugar maples are done and have never experienced 'buddy sap' doing that.

HondoLane
01-27-2018, 08:41 PM
Ok. Took a closer look since the snow melted. Found some leaves in the area.

johnallin
01-27-2018, 08:52 PM
That looks like a red maple. It's close to a black maple, leaf-wise, but the lobes are not as deep and are more rounded on the black.

HondoLane
01-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Awesome. Now that I'm somewhat on the right track. I'm going to go shop for some supplies. What do you all recommend? I kind of like the "tradition" of it and was thinking metal spikes and buckets. I have only identified 4 trees this winter. I was planning on using my turkey fryer and finishing on my stove.

maple flats
01-28-2018, 07:03 AM
If you finish on your stove, it's far better if you have a vent hood that actually takes the steam outdoors rather than just filter it back into the room.

HondoLane
01-28-2018, 09:58 AM
It vents outside..

Is there a complete list as to what supplies I would need? Ive been searching but get a myriad of ideas. Some argue plastic storage is better than the buckets, put the bucket on the ground vs hang from tree, etc

ren46
01-28-2018, 10:02 AM
I agree with John, those leaves definitely appear to be from a red maple. Black maple leaves have lobes that are similar to a sugar maple but more rounded and they have a drooping appearance when on the tree. The under side of the blacks leaves are somewhat fuzzy. If they are reds tap them, about 10% of mine are.
As far as finishing syrup on the kitchen stove if you have a window nearby put a fan in it or blowing out of it if you don't have an exhaust fan or hood for your stove. Works well for me!

Sugarmaker
01-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Good luck with your new hobby! Can bring many hours of fun and some work in there too! You have come to the right place for information. No there is no standard starter kit that I know of. Cordless drill, 5/16 bit, plastic spouts / spiles ( 2 per tree) drop line maple sap tubing from the tap to food grade 5 gallon buckets (1 per tree) insert tubing just under the lid. brick to hold down the lid. drill the hole 1.5 to 2 inches deep, about waist high on the tree. gently tap in the spile, not to split the wood. Then go work on getting your boiling operation ready. If you stay with the entire season expect to gather and boil about 12 to 20 times. Each tap should produce between a pint and a quart of syrup depending on many factors.
Regards,
Chris

HondoLane
01-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I really appreciate all of your input! I have 1 hobby already as a metal fabricator.. I get burned out leading up to and through Christmas with all of my orders.. I need something else to get me through the Jan-April and this seems like something fun and enjoyable to do. I am sure to have many more questions, so I thank all of you in advance!!

Run Forest Run!
01-28-2018, 11:12 AM
HondoLane, although the bark looked like my silvers, the leaves are definitely not from a silver. It looks like you've got a red maple. Have fun with your first year sugaring!

Maplebrook
01-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Awesome. I was planning on using my turkey fryer and finishing on my stove.

Finishing over propane is way easier than electric. Propane is constant heat; electric cycles on and off. It can be done over electric, but don't dare turn your back on it.

Definitely reds, those will make the best tasting syrup you've ever tasted.

HondoLane
01-28-2018, 12:46 PM
We have a propane stove and stainless vent hood to the outside. Will I have issues with sticky walls? This is concern my wife has.

Maplebrook
01-29-2018, 06:39 PM
We have a propane stove and stainless vent hood to the outside. Will I have issues with sticky walls? This is concern my wife has.

You're all set with a propane stove then! The walls won't be bad finishing the syrup from your 3-4 trees.

HondoLane
02-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Spiles and buckets ordered! I'm off work for 6 days and I have some metal artwork to do. I picked through my scrap pile and sourced enough material including a 55 gal drum to build an evaporator.

As for the pan... What size should I build it for the drum? I wanted to build a divided pan with a draw off valve and a warming pan. I can make it out of mild or stainless. I've read up on both and decided to go mild steel this year do to $$$$. If I can pull of a small success this year, the CFO (wife) will be good with a full home built arch.

How much sap am I going to need to run a continuous pan at 20"x20"? Will 8 taps supply what I need?

maple flats
02-01-2018, 10:41 AM
8 should be enough once the sap really starts running, but early on you might need to save sap and keep it cold to add to another day or 2 before you have enough. You want enough to boil at least 3 hours on the first boil, or draw off what has been boiled and save until another boil.
Some have used mild steel and they seem to be usable, but between seasons, rust becomes a major issue.

HondoLane
02-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Ok.. did an about face on the mild steel. Scored a good price on some 22ga stainless!! Going to build a 20x20x6, 3 channel pan and put a warming pan on back. How high should the dividers be? I purchased 2 stainless steel valves and few other small items.. time to put it all together

jrm
02-02-2018, 04:25 AM

I finish inside with propane stove, stainless steel hood vented outside and have not had issues with sticky walls. Not, when my filter slipped and spilled onto the counter, that was a different sticky mess. 😱

Big_Eddy
02-02-2018, 08:05 AM
There is NO SUGAR in steam. You could have enough moisture running down the walls to strip the wallpaper off, but they will not be sticky.

Your fingers will be sticky, and any splashes onto your counter or stove top will be sticky, but not the walls.
Don't turn your back on the boiling pot though- or the whole kitchen will quickly be sticky. Boiling syrup knows EXACTLY when to rise up and jump out of the pot.

HondoLane
02-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Almost there! Finishing up my 55 gallon drum evaporator. Wasn't going to insulate it. Now I'm thinking I will. What, at a minimum, should I do? I built a grate for the bottom and I was just going to throw sand in the bottom. Now I was looking at ceramic blanket. Do I need to cover the ceramic blanket with brick? Need some ideas!!

Hunt4sap
02-11-2018, 06:40 PM
My 55 gallon setup has 2" ceramic blanket then 1" firebricks on bottom and 1/2 way up sides( bricks protect ceramic from physical damage)
This is my second year using 55 gallon barrel evaporator and at first I didn't have it insulated and you couldn't get close enough to tend to foam or check boil/ sap depth ( I would at least do ceramic/ brick on bottom, also helps direct all heat up to pan.

HondoLane
02-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Good point on insulation... I am going to snag some fire brick tomorrow. I figured since I'm this deep into it.. may as well whip together a finisher/bottler while I am at it... When I finish up in the next couple of days.. I will post up some photos..

HondoLane
02-12-2018, 04:41 PM

Aaaannnnnd... we off!

HondoLane
02-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Success!! I think. Made some beautiful looking syrup. Nailed it on the hydrometer. Took about 14 gallons to make about 14 oz of finished product. It has a noticeable vanilla flavor. Hope that is ok.

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2018, 05:57 PM
That IS definitely beautiful looking syrup. Congrats! It's quite common for early, light syrup to have a vanilla flavour. Have fun with your next batches!