PDA

View Full Version : No sugaring for us this year

3GoatHill
01-23-2018, 07:31 PM
We sold our little farm last month. It's kind of a bittersweet time right now. We found a new place that better suits our plan, so that's good. But we can't move in until way after the maple season is over. So, for this year, there is no tapping. No sap. No boiling. :cry:

Maplemonkey
01-24-2018, 07:59 AM
not even on a little turkey fryer and a few trees in the neighborhood? Just enough to put on some Penn State Vanilla ice cream?

3GoatHill
01-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Looks like I'll be buying syrup from somebody else, AND vanilla ice cream from Berkey Creamery. Mmm

Drew Pond Maple
01-24-2018, 07:56 PM
I’m kinda in the same boat, though my reason is a little more due to my physical condition. I will be getting a total hip replacement in April. Yes I still could tap some trees and make syrup, but I can barely walk on flat ground and my trees are on fairly steep ground.

On the bright side, my trees can take a vacation this year.
I’ll be back in next year

bowhunter
01-25-2018, 06:29 AM
I had a hip replacement 6 years ago. My went great and it's as good as new today...only older. You should be able to walk through the sugar bush two months after the surgery if the recovery goes well. Listen to the physical therapist and walk and move around as much as you can. There will be some pain during rehab but it's not the joint just the muscles recovering from the surgery.

3GoatHill
01-25-2018, 08:45 AM
I had a partial replacement in 2010 to both hips, due to post traumatic arthritis. Hip resurfacing they called it, they just replace the ball. I went to Dr. Gross at Midland Orthopedics in South Carolina. Before the procedure I could barely walk, partly because of the pain, and more so because my hips just wouldn't move. It took a long time for the recovery, but now it's like I never had a hip issue, no problems whatsoever. And the funny thing, my busted up knee doesn't bother me much either. And I am able to do anything I want. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.