PDA

View Full Version : Leg Tank as a Truck Tank

Amber Gold
01-23-2018, 09:37 AM
I need a new truck tank for this coming maple season. Debating between a 725 gal horizontal leg tank or a 550 gal vertical tank. I have a SRW flat bed, so space isn't an issue. I was hauling ~700 gal loads last season, and it worked fine.

How are the leg tanks to clean and keep clean? They have a lot of corners. I do like how they appear to be bottom draining though without the inner elbow to suck from the bottom of the tank like the truck tank tanks have...is that true?

Are the straps needed for anything more than bolting the tank to the bed? Being a flat bed, I can easily strap it down.

Thanks for your input.

doocat
01-23-2018, 10:06 AM
I bought a 725 gal leg tank from Norwesco. I bit the bullet and got the straps as well. Best investment i made for hauling sap. It is on a F450 flat bed. The metal straps eliminate the worrying and it never moves. I have to haul up a steep hill out of our one bush. 6000 lbs can move fast if it is not secured good. Also with the 18 inch manhole you can get right in and clean it definitely a plus. Just my 2 cents.

Craig

Maplewalnut
01-23-2018, 10:44 AM
I have to haul up a steep hill out of our one bush.
Craig

I still don't know how you get it up your driveway!! LOL

Josh- I know some don't like leg tanks but I have never had a problem cleaning the corners with a pressure washer.

Russell Lampron
01-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Hi Josh, I use a 325 gallon leg tank here and really like it. It does have an elbow at the outlet, I haven't seen one without one. I haul mine on a trailer behind my tractor. I lift the nose of the trailer with the 3 point hitch and can pump it just about dry. Does your truck have a dump hoist?

As far as cleaning it goes I roll it on it's side and crawl in far enough to scour the hard to reach places. I put manholes on my cage tanks so that I can clean them the same way.

maple maniac65
01-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Russ

Do you change the man hole cover. Or do I need to find someone built differently than me.

Russell Lampron
01-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Russ

Do you change the man hole cover. Or do I need to find someone built differently than me.

It's the same cover that came on the tank. I bought covers like it and put them on my cage tanks too. If you can't get into the tank rolled onto it's side you may have to find someone that can fit.

Amber Gold
01-24-2018, 08:23 AM
Great. Thanks for the input. If I can swing it, I'd prefer the larger tank...fewer trips hauling sap. I do have a dump hoist...really handy. I didn't realize the covers were large enough to fit in...that certainly makes it a lot easier. I can always send the kids down inside :)

maple flats
01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
The 2 biggest leg tanks I ever used were a 125 and then a 165 gal, then both on, the 125 on my half ton and the 165 on a utility trailer. For them I used 2" wide ratchet straps (10,000#), 2 on each and cranked them tight.