PDA

View Full Version : Using a pan over propane burners

sbsyrup
01-23-2018, 08:56 AM
I've been making about 3-4 gallons the past couple years simply boiling in pots over propane on my back porch. I'm thinking of buying a pan with a valve and thermometer and putting it on top of 2 burners to make things a little easier. That's probably not an ideal set up for heat distribution etc. but will it work? And should I have something between the burners and the pan? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Maplebrook
01-23-2018, 04:08 PM
I did that in the early years. 16 x 32 flat pan spanning 2 propane burners. Worked good. Ditched that setup the year the propane bill hit $600 and switched to wood.
Helpful hint: store the butane igniter well away from the burners. (my eye brows grew back eventually)

MapleMark753
01-23-2018, 04:22 PM
My two cents is that it will work fine for you. Expensive, but fine. I did that the first year and like mentioned above, the bill total for the season was pretty high. Made some good syrup though.
I would suggest that your pan set up, whatever it is, overlaps the burners output by a couple of inches. Otherwise in dim light you'll see the blue flame licking up the sides of your pans. That results in burnt sap on your pans at your sap and foam level (pain scrubbing off), and can impart a burnt flavor to your syrup too (not good after all that work!).
I'm not sure what you mean by "having something between the burners and the pan". There shouldn't be any obstacles between the flame and your pan, other than the necessary framework on which the pan sits. good luck and make some more good syrup!:)

sbsyrup
01-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Thanks! So I'll just put the pan right on top of by burners like I did the pots. I would get the flame coming up the side of my pot sometimes but the pan will be wider. I know it's expensive with the propane but I dont have the time to start and stoke wood fires... maybe next year!

Shirlsaw63
01-25-2018, 12:20 PM
First couple years I did mine on the propane grill. Put bricks around the sides of the pans to make a little more efficient. Worked well for me.17251

SDdave
01-25-2018, 06:05 PM
The beauty of all of us here on the 'Trader is that each of us have techniques that are unique to us. Here is a picture of my setup using turkey fryer burners. I have found that these have an 11" circle of intense heat. I am boiling with a 2x4 continuous (spelling?) pan. The key that I have found is that you need to control your flame, there is a fine point though between a good boil and burning extra propane. I have had no problem (so far) establishing and maintaining the gradient.

Whatever you do, have fun with it!

SDdave