PDA

View Full Version : All 39 taps in Syracuse.

Eliemma
01-22-2018, 01:50 PM
First year tapping trees. Tapped yesterday afternoon. This morning I had 16 gallons of sap already using 3/16 into buckets. Hope to have enough sap by Wednesday to do some cooking as the temperatures drop. One question i have is can you store sap for 4 or 5 days if the temperatures are below freezing.

red dorakeen
01-22-2018, 04:16 PM
First year tapping trees. Tapped yesterday afternoon. This morning I had 16 gallons of sap already using 3/16 into buckets. Hope to have enough sap by Wednesday to do some cooking as the temperatures drop. One question i have is can you store sap for 4 or 5 days if the temperatures are below freezing.

Yes, you can store sap in below freezing temperatures.

ren46
01-28-2018, 05:24 AM
It's always best to process your sap within a few days but if your storing it longer keep it as cold as possible to prevent spoilage. Store it out of the sun like on the north side of a structure to help keep it cold. I have a few barrels that I store my sap in and if it looks like the temperatures are going to be warm enough to be a problem I will pack some snow (if it's available ) around them to keep it cold.

danno
01-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Where in Syracuse are you? Been producing out in Bville on and off for 15 years. Happy to answer any questions you have or share tricks. Cant thank my neighbors enough that helped me.