PDA

View Full Version : Scouting and Syrup

Paul M.
03-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Hello:

We are mid way through our first experiment with maple syrup. We have a 600 acre camp with a very good maple tree stand. A backyard syrup guy and myself are doing most of the work. Bags and roaster pans on an open fire, with an old milk cooler as our storage tank. Our fuel came mostly from trail work, to keep the moutain bike trails clear.

Does anyone know of a syrup operation with a good 'educational' component of the process, respect for nature, late winter nature hike, games, etc.?

The Scout executive sees this as a good introductory activity for Tiger Cubs (1st graders) and their parents. The syrup run coincides with completion of the Tiger Cub recruiting season. I would like to tie this activity in to a fundraising breakfast as well. With 50 taps, we've probably processed 400 gallons of sap so far. Twelve hours yesterday to process 60 gallons of sap. Our syrup is probably not great, but it is lighter than and is absent the metallic taste of the generic grand 'pure maple syrup' sold at the grocery store.

We probably have a good built in market, (Scouting Community) since we've put a Camp Ingawanis label on it and have inspirational message comparing the work required to turn 2% sap into syrup with the work of 2% of scouts who attain the Eagle Rank.

We'll probably be looking for an evaporator for next season. We have the trees to develop a huge operation, but don't see us going that far. We are focused on programs that teach citizenship/character/leadership in a fun outdoor environment.

One we get this set up, I anticipate/hope that volunteers won't be a problem.

What type of 'health' inspection is typical for approval to sell publicly?

Paul M.