PDA

View Full Version : Tapped and flowing

USMCLtcol
01-20-2018, 07:04 AM
I had some good runs the last few days. 20 gallons collected on Friday and expect the same today. First boil we be Sunday.

woodchuck
02-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Hey USMC:
Glad to see that you are at it in VA. I assume that you don’t have many Sugar maples in VA. (?) Are maples hard to find? My wife wants to retire in Rocky mount/ Smith Mt lake area.
Thanks for the report!

USMCLtcol
02-02-2018, 08:17 PM
I am about 30 miles from the lake and have made 3 gallons of syrup in the last few weeks. We do have sugar maples and most every other variety. Have 45 gallon of sap to cook on Saturday. There are maple trees in central Va that have a black bark from the sap leaking out of the trees and they are awesome producers. My son and I tapped one Sunday after a long cold period. We walked up to this tree on a bright Sunday afternoons it was surrounded with ice, which was sap leaking out of the limbs, freezing and falling to the ground as the tree thawed. Amazing. So not hard to find. I live in the city and have 46 taps all within 2miles of the House. Happy sugaring.

esetter
02-03-2018, 06:13 AM
I love those big black oozing trees. They always produce for me. Sounds like its going well for you. I have collected 37.5 gallons to date. Gonna tap a few more this afternoon.

USMCLtcol
02-03-2018, 08:30 PM
After today’s cook I have 4.5 gallons. Best year to date for me

esetter
02-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Ended up collecting 74 gallons of raw sap. Added 10 gallons frozen from last year. Made a couple pints shy of two gallons. Best year yet! Id say its over for us down here with the warm weather.

USMCLtcol
02-25-2018, 02:28 PM
I ended up with 6.75 gallons over a 5 week season. Boiled 4 times and syrup color varied from light amber to amber. First boil is some of the lightest I have ever made.