PDA

View Full Version : homemade candy

SapSuckers
05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
While at work today i took advantage of some down time and tried making some maple candy. I used some syrup left over from last year, a rubber candy mold I bought from a big producer this year, and the recipe found on www.maplemadness.com

For anyone wishing to try this, be sure to add the butter or oil first, and have some ready and be able to turn off your heat source in a hurry. once the syurp began to boil it was to the top of the pan in no time.

The directions state to bring it to 32 degrees above boiling of water for candy. it took a little while but it got there. then let it set for 3-5 mins.

The tricky part, as it says on the website, is knowing how long to stir it. I found it becomes similar to wet sand at the beach. Then simply put it in the molds and let it dry. I used a spoon to put the candy in the molds, but next time i will try using my jerky shooter gun with round tip then maybe the backside of a spoon to smooth it out.

I found the candy to be very good and very similar to that of a big producer. I will be sure to make some next year right in the new sugarhouse. Also, i look forward to making some maple cream, i will let you know how it comes out.