PDA

View Full Version : Sp 22 oil

Ultimatetreehugger
01-19-2018, 06:56 AM
What kind of oil do producers use in there Sp22 vacuum pumps? I've searched the forum but can't find a definite answer. Any help is appreciated.

Maplewalnut
01-19-2018, 09:36 AM
I run vacuum oil from tractor supply. I change it about every two weeks or so when running 24/7

maple flats
01-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Tractor supply vac oil and I change it after 3 weeks, but monitor the oil level daily.

CrossBroMaple
01-19-2018, 10:28 AM
I have ordered surge oil from Hambdy dairy supply....but if I can run tractor supply oil I might change over. That would make getting oil easier

Russell Lampron
01-19-2018, 05:51 PM
I run Castrol Edge 5W-30 synthetic motor oil in mine. I add about a cup of oil per day when I run the pump around the clock. I pull 27" of vacuum with it and haven't had any problems with it.

Ultimatetreehugger
01-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies! Russell, how many taps are you pulling off of? Is there a reason you choose to run that oil?
What are others pulling for vacuum? Thanks, excited to have "real" vacuum this year.

markcasper
01-19-2018, 09:45 PM
I run 3.25 gallons (your brand) vacuum pump oil, 1.25 gallons bar and chain oil, 1/2 gallon marvel mystery oil. Mix in 5 gallon pail, drain pumps every 4-5 days max. if running around the clock.

markcasper
01-19-2018, 09:51 PM
I run vacuum oil from tractor supply. I change it about every two weeks or so when running 24/7

Not to ruin your day.....but 2 weeks is way too long to not be draining your oil. Those pumps aren't gonna last! You need to be doing it every 5 days if running around the clock. Oil is cheap when your pump ceases up.

BreezyHill
01-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Vacuum pumps should be run on nonfoaming oil. This will reduce wear that occurs when oil gets mixed with water. I have rebuilt pumps that were run when the oil foamed and it is nearly as bad as not running oil in the pump for a short time. When the wear points get hot enough some oil will get into the friction points and prolong the inevitable failure.

If you have a Southern States feed dealer around you ask them to get you their piston and rotary vacuum pump oil. I got in 2 pails for our store after I tested the oil. The price point I have it at is $59.99/ 5 gal pail.

If this is not an option check out TSC Dairyland Pump oil at the $14/ gallon range.

Delaval and Westfalia oil are name brand pump oils that will be much higher.

Good oil will start to vaporize at a temp of 180 to cool the pump and be caught in a reclaimer.

Oils that are for motors and engines will with stand higher heats and not cool the pump in this manor. They also foam unless they are labeled nonfoaming.

Oil is an investment. Spend a little more for a proper oil and your pump will last longer.

Good Luck!
Ben

Russell Lampron
01-20-2018, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the replies! Russell, how many taps are you pulling off of? Is there a reason you choose to run that oil?
What are others pulling for vacuum? Thanks, excited to have "real" vacuum this year.

I have a little over 700 taps and they are spread out which means that there are many long mainlines and laterals. I chose this oil because it is what we use in the new Volvo's at the dealership where I work as a technician. I get a discount on it too which helps.

Ultimatetreehugger
01-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the great info.

Maplewalnut
01-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Not to ruin your day.....but 2 weeks is way too long to not be draining your oil. Those pumps aren't gonna last! You need to be doing it every 5 days if running around the clock. Oil is cheap when your pump ceases up.

What is the 5 days based on? Is there some data? I have tried the concoction you list in the past but found it gives off way more mist than the TSC brand.

markcasper
01-21-2018, 04:22 AM
What is the 5 days based on? Is there some data? I have tried the concoction you list in the past but found it gives off way more mist than the TSC brand.

Its based on a farmer always drained oil in his tractor every 100 - 125 hours with tractors made in the same time frame. Still try to stick to that even though they say with todays oil you can go 2-3 times that. I'm not buying it. Not a big deal to drain it 4-5 times a season, at least not for me. When that oil loses its sweet smell from the marvel mystery oil, tells me its time to change it. Gives me piece of mind to drain every 100-125 hours.