PDA

View Full Version : Preheater height in hood

Wanabe1972
01-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Guys and Gals,. Can anyone tell me how high to put the preheater inside my hood? It's a drop flu pan the pan sides are 14 inches with 12 inch dividers. The hood is 24 inches tall over all with 12 inch sides before it angles in. Thanks Jeff

DocsMapleSyrup
01-18-2018, 11:56 PM
I think most put it just above the drip edge on the bottom of the hood, with the preheater sitting on some C or V shaped channel so that it can rest on the drip edge inside of the hood. Don't forget to catch the condensate coming off the preheater so you don't keep reboiling the condensate over and over.

Wanabe1972
01-20-2018, 04:50 AM
Thank you. Jeff

maple flats
01-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Agreed, Make it high enough to get good drainage to the gutter around the inside edge of the hood. Don't forget to install a damper in the steam stack, that you can lock in position. When you get a good hard boil going, slowly close that damper until a little steam starts to escape out leaks in the hood, then open it very slightly (like just 2-3 degrees) from there and lock it in position. With the steam density greater around the pre-heater like that, you get hotter sap feeding the pan.

Wanabe1972
01-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Thanks Flats Im going to make a damper today to run in the stack. I will make it so it locks.