PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Quantities Sap Storage

bigrick_2u
01-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Any advice or experience with storing sap? How do other hobbyists store sap until they boil? Is it best to boil often so you don't store it for long periods of time?

Second year and only going to have about 15 taps.

Thanks!

johnpma
01-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Any advice or experience with storing sap? How do other hobbyists store sap until they boil? Is it best to boil often so you don't store it for long periods of time?

Second year and only going to have about 15 taps.

Thanks! Short answer, if it's cold out then in 5 gallon Tractor Supply buckets with lids in the sugar shack. These buckets are food grade. When it warms up later in the season it becomes a bit more involved trying to store sap. During the season when it's running hard I boil week nights, and weekends too.

maple flats
01-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Keep it cold and boil as often as you can, I sometimes boil every day, at other times every other day depending on the sap amount and the temperature outside. My tanks are insulated but not refrigerated.

Weekend_Warrior
01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
I can only boil on weekends. So, I put the sap in 5 gallon buckets and bury them in snow if it is available. If not, I line a trash barrel with a food grade liner and put in frozen milk jugs of sap to keep it cool.

esetter
01-18-2018, 07:01 PM
I store in 5 gallon buckets with lids myself. Firehouse subs will sell the pickle buckets to you with lids for $2. I picked up two old refrigerators , took all the racks and drawers out of them. When they get full of buckets of sap , I boil. Also if its really cold , let those buckets of sap freeze and take the ice off. Its pretty much all water and this will cut down on boil time. Ive got 15-20 taps myself.

ScottyWelden
01-18-2018, 07:43 PM
I use the first sap to make ice cubes (1-2 quart sized) These go in the sap to keep it cool until the next boil.