PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us what is new (upgrades) for the 2018 season

HannahL
01-18-2018, 06:27 AM
I have a very small operation, boiling on a 18X30 flat pan, but try to make it as efficient as possible. This year I will be adding a second 3/16 line taking my tap count from 25 to hopefully 40 taps this season. Also, purchasing the RB-10-M RO Bucket, supposed to process 10-15 gallons an hour. Reworking the fire box on my stove, want to add a small blower under the stove and need to rework the grating and fire brick. Third and last objective is to obtain larger sap storage capacity. With the added taps and the RO I will need to add larger containers and more of them.

Season is fast approaching, can't wait!

ronintank
01-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Building a home made 100 gph ro unit. will be adding a couple more runs of 3/16 lines about 30 to 40 more taps this year.

Wanabe1972
01-20-2018, 08:53 AM
I have replaced my 150 gph RO pump with a 300gph and am adding hoods and preheater to the rig. I have a new 500 gallon verticle poly tank for storage of sap to be RO ed. Im adding a laser eye to my bottler with auto fill so no more lost syrup from overflows.
Jeff

gbwaterski
01-25-2018, 04:23 PM
how are you building it? i have built one and may be able to give some pointers. Mine utilizes a 4x40 membrane and a procon pump. This will be my 3rd year on it.

Buckfever
01-25-2018, 07:32 PM
HannahL, can you provide more info on that RO? I'm looking for one about that size.

HannahL
01-26-2018, 10:46 AM
HannahL, can you provide more info on that RO? I'm looking for one about that size.

http://www.therobucket.com/

Ordering mine with the auto shut off so I can leave it run over night or while I am at work. Will play with the needle valve to run slower then the 1/1 ratio so that I only have to run it through once. Would really like to remove around 65%-75% of water. I have the time so might as well utilize it.

Thumb Bum
01-26-2018, 03:53 PM

New block evaporator

ronintank
01-26-2018, 06:40 PM
how are you building it? i have built one and may be able to give some pointers. Mine utilizes a 4x40 membrane and a procon pump. This will be my 3rd year on it.
Pŕocon 240 with feed pump and mes 4.40172691726917270

maple flats
01-26-2018, 07:03 PM
No real upgrades this year, except I've added a storage shed which allows me to move lots of things from the sugarhouse to the new shed, where there's enough room to organize it a lot better. The 14x28 shed has benches and shelves all down both sides and across the back wall. The front opens so I drive my tractor in and park it.
Another thing I'm doing in the sugarhouse is making the hookup for the air diaphragm pump simple to disconnect for rinsing, everything is getting quick disconnects (tri-clover type). I also have most of my backup inventory for containers, barrels and such in the new shed as well as all of my tubing and fittings rather than filling part of the crowded sugarhouse. I'm still thrilled about the Smoky Lake Water Jacketed canner I added just before last season, what a huge improvement over the old propane fired canner.
I had to streamline things this year because I'll be alone tapping and fixing lines for the next 6 weeks. My Brother in law, who helps me just had surgery yesterday and is on strict rules not to lift anything over 10# for 6 weeks. I think he will however be making up some drops, at his kitchen table, starting in a week or 10 days if all goes well.

astaeven
01-26-2018, 10:02 PM
I have been thinking of picking up the 225Gal or 275Gal (I forget) storage totes in metal cages in White Cloud, MI for $60. stopped in and spoke with them and they stated they either had molasses, honey, or veg oil in them previously and they had been power washed. Any thoughts? Otherwise I have 35gal on UTV for collecting and 65 and 2 55 gallon plastic drums. I am hoping to do 100 taps this year but may only be able to cook on weekends unless the flow happens during my scheduled time off.

astaeven
01-27-2018, 07:25 AM
thank you for the info on RObucket, something that a hobbyist can actually afford and sized for a small operation.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Not a thing, going to watch every one else go into debt for 1.90 to 2.10 LB and then pick up some fire sales when they cant pay their loans!

woodey24
01-27-2018, 07:57 AM
I have been thinking of picking up the 225Gal or 275Gal (I forget) storage totes in metal cages in White Cloud, MI for $60. stopped in and spoke with them and they stated they either had molasses, honey, or veg oil in them previously and they had been power washed. Any thoughts? Otherwise I have 35gal on UTV for collecting and 65 and 2 55 gallon plastic drums. I am hoping to do 100 taps this year but may only be able to cook on weekends unless the flow happens during my scheduled time off.

Neighbor picked up one with honey and one that supposedly had soy in it. He was able to get the honey one clean. The other one smells like veg oil and he can't get the smell out, we are going to swap it with the guy for a honey one. He didn't purchase from guy in white cloud, a guy down here by us. If you take the lid off and can't smell what was in there I think you would be ok. Id stick with the honey, especially if it still has residue in it, then you can wash and know what was in it previous.

mi-maple
01-27-2018, 06:16 PM
I have 4 275 gallon totes that all had vegetable oils in them. I used to get them from work for free. I power washed them all, some came completely clean while some have fatty deposits I can't seem to get completely off. They all smell somewhat of oil still. I have been using them for 3 years with 0 hint of off taste in my syrup. Power wash and sanitize every year before and after season.

Greenthumb
01-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Only thing new this year is some ceramic rail gasket insulation. Darn kids college tuition is killing me

BAP
01-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Traded some syrup for tubing supplies and a Murphy Cup a couple weeks ago. Been wanting to try a Murphy Cup for while but had to wait until it fit in the budget.

steelguy
01-30-2018, 07:26 AM
this will be my second year tapping.
added 50 taps on 3/16 tubing to a small hill behind our garage that was a PITA to maneuver with buckets.
learned a ton last year.
looking forward to this season.

steelguy
01-30-2018, 07:39 AM
still trying to figure out how to edit my profile info LOL
by the way I did tap 50 trees last week 1/20 thru 1/28 got around 150 gallons of sap and made 3 gallons of very nice syrup.
I got bored I guess .....
these were on trees that were hard to get at and I will DEFINITLY NOT be tapping later...briars, brush etc.
better than sitting around watching tv

astaeven
01-30-2018, 11:55 AM
thanks, mi-maple, next payday maybe. Off this week and finishing cutting up 2nd ton of oak slabwood for cooking. Good luck collecting.

astaeven
01-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Neighbor picked up one with honey and one that supposedly had soy in it. He was able to get the honey one clean. The other one smells like veg oil and he can't get the smell out, we are going to swap it with the guy for a honey one. He didn't purchase from guy in white cloud, a guy down here by us. If you take the lid off and can't smell what was in there I think you would be ok. Id stick with the honey, especially if it still has residue in it, then you can wash and know what was in it previous.

still trying to figure out this blog and quote on same link as previous message. Agree with you on that one, I figure molasses or honey should be good. I have 2 55 gal drums that had chicken soup (oily) and washed and power washed multiple times and left open to air out for months. Cannot smell anything in drums now, but have not used yet.

woodey24
01-31-2018, 07:06 PM
still trying to figure out this blog and quote on same link as previous message. Agree with you on that one, I figure molasses or honey should be good. I have 2 55 gal drums that had chicken soup (oily) and washed and power washed multiple times and left open to air out for months. Cannot smell anything in drums now, but have not used yet.

My neighbor has figured out that if he cuts the barrel off exactly under the lip where it starts to bend up the lid will then fit inside it and the lip of the barrel lid will cover the outter edge so that nothing can get in. We plan to use these and set blocks or bricks on the top. This will enable us to remove the entire lid to thoroughly clean it.

ronintank
01-31-2018, 07:24 PM
I posted this last year it works great for cutting barrels tops off. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?27680-55-gallon-storage-barrel&highlight=RONINTANK

BoarsNest
02-11-2018, 05:21 PM
New sugar shack and hoping to put about 50 trees on 3/16 tubing.

Shirlsaw63
02-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Really seriously tempted to buy the RO bucket this year - especially now the tax refund is in the bank. Other than that nothing planned. Did not tap last year due to family circumstances. Going to tap this year but not my full number of trees to ease back into it. I like the idea of the RO bucket cutting down on wood needed to boil.

HannahL
02-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Really seriously tempted to buy the RO bucket this year - especially now the tax refund is in the bank. Other than that nothing planned. Did not tap last year due to family circumstances. Going to tap this year but not my full number of trees to ease back into it. I like the idea of the RO bucket cutting down on wood needed to boil.

I purchased the RB-10 and will be providing a review once the season begins. Being a very small operation I am very excited to have the opportunity to put in more taps this season.

Shirlsaw63
02-15-2018, 11:24 AM
I purchased the RB-10 and will be providing a review once the season begins. Being a very small operation I am very excited to have the opportunity to put in more taps this season.

I ended up getting the RB-5. Was on the fence between RB-10 and RB-5 until he said the 10's were backordered until March. Hoping it comes early next week. I will have to review it too.

Shirlsaw63
02-22-2018, 06:34 AM

HannanL have you used your RO? I ended up with the RB-5. It was all he had in stock and I was on the fence anyway between that and the RB-10. Yesterday was my first run. I processed 17ish gallons of sap through it in 2hr 45 minutes. Ended up with around 10 gallons of permeate water. I was impressed. I had it fairly pressurized for max water removal. I still need to go back and test Brix on the concentrate. My starting Brix was around 3.

I didn't get the auto shut off and at that rate I should be able to keep up with my daily sap collection. I did get the UV sterilizer and am having problems with that leaking so bypassed it until I can take a close look at that this weekend. I may just need to switch its position to the last part before the collection bucket so its not pressurized.