PDA

View Full Version : When’s everyone planning on tapping

Littlemilltownmaple
01-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Just curious as to when everyone taps for the year when is to early?

red maples
01-17-2018, 08:39 AM
hopefully I can start tapping vac tubing thursday or friday this week. got all the mess in woods cleaned up and just workiing on changing out some more drops. looks like this weekend might be a good weekend to get things done and tested and ready to go here in southern NH. hard to tell with all the different forecasts , crazy...

Wingo87
01-19-2018, 07:05 AM
I’m going to put in a few taps in this weekend but for the most part I’m going to hold off till February. The earliest I’ve ever put taps in was January 26th and I got good runs but low sugar.

BeaverBrookMaple
01-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Tapped 1 today so that I can monitor the early flows. It sure flowed.

Planning on tapping the rest feb 10 depending on the forecast.

maple flats
01-20-2018, 06:23 PM
If you are on tubing with either natural vacuum (3/16) or pump vacuum and have good sanitation, anytime now is good to tap.. If on bags or buckets you might want to wait yet.

Dill
01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Depends which weather app I look at. Weather channel is saying put holes in trees. Accu is saying hold off for another couple weeks. Spent the last couple days in the woods fixing damage. Almost back on track for the home woods. The Northwood bush took a pounding in that wind storm.

Sinzibuckwud
01-20-2018, 08:32 PM
Holding off here in the mountains for a few weeks yet.
It looks ok on paper, but it's not going to deliver even if it's dead on. the snow pack will keep temps down in the woods here and nowhere near enough sun predicted to get things moving in my woods.

BAP
01-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Holding off here in the mountains for a few weeks yet.
It looks ok on paper, but it's not going to deliver even if it's dead on. the snow pack will keep temps down in the woods here and nowhere near enough sun predicted to get things moving in my woods.
My thoughts too. When the snow is tight around the trees, and the frost is still in the ground, the trees don’t run much regardless of the temperature. Also, the days are still short and the sun is still low on the horizon. In 3 weeks, it will be a whole different ballgame.

amaranth farm
01-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Radio Silence.

lords sugaring
01-23-2018, 09:30 PM
To early to tell at this point, they can hardly predict what's going to happen tomorrow nevermind a month from now. The end of February into the first week of March seems to always be a good rough starting point. It also depends if you have 100 or 10,000 taps going in and your location. Since you're asking I'm going to assume you don't have a whole bunch going in. Be patient and keep a close eye on the forcast. I remember my first year I tapped so early because I was excited/impatient and my taps suffered greatly at peak flow time.

KJamesJR
01-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Looks like after this weekend we're going to be put back in the icebox. I think I'm gonna wait until 3rd-4th week of feb.