PDA

View Full Version : Too Early to Tap?

turnerburner
01-15-2018, 12:00 PM
The long range forecast is showing good weather this weekend and next week. Is anyone thinking about tapping early this year?

Mvhomesteader
01-16-2018, 10:51 AM
My limited experience is to wait till mid February. These warm January spells seem to be a yearly occurrence. I've tried a tree or two in the past and ended up waiting till mid February to see a decent flow. With next weeks temps in the mid 30's it still seems slightly cool. Good luck whichever way you go!

ash10383
01-16-2018, 01:05 PM
we are thinking about it, the 10 day looks good and down to the last bottle of syrup from last year!

n8hutch
01-16-2018, 04:42 PM
If you have trees that have southern exposure you might get some sap in southern Maine, I live about 1000ft from fryeburg Maine and I won't be tapping anytime soon, I might miss a small run or 2 but I almost never get tapped before presidents week and this year will be no exception. I have a really cold woods it faces mostly east south east but it really doesn't get a lot of sun, save the trees nearer the top of the Bush.

So if you have hedge row trees or door yard trees you might get some sap but I personally would hold off at least a couple more weeks.

BAP
01-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Even though we have had a warm, then cold, the frost is still deep and will affect the ability of the trees to run much.

bees1st
01-17-2018, 06:20 PM
I plan to start working in the woods and drilling holes Friday. I don't expect much to happen. I just have a lot to do and I prefer to be working when it's not so cold.

Page Meadow Maple
01-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Watching the weather but not sure when to tap up here near Lincoln. I have 50+ buckets to hang on trees. Last year, I had already tapped, collected and bottled a few gallons by the end of January thanks to an early warm spell. Then sat dormant for some long, cold snowy stretches in mid-Feb. Not sure what to do this year. Hoping a Maine maple pro can tell me what 2018 has in store! Tap now or wait until Feb or March?

Mitchman
01-29-2018, 02:38 AM
It all boils down to " Are You Feeling Lucky "

Page Meadow Maple
01-29-2018, 08:24 AM
It all boils down to " Are You Feeling Lucky "

Thanks for replying, but as a beginner I have no idea what “feeling lucky” means in this context.

Is there Anyone out there in my neck of the woods who can give me some tips/advice on what factors to consider in deciding when to start putting out my buckets?

Are sugar makers in some regions of Maine already collecting sap?

Thanks in advance!

Cjadamec
01-29-2018, 09:25 AM
By "feeling lucky" you are taking a gamble that the weather will hold a steady pattern for good tapping weather for the next 6 weeks or so. Or about as long as your taps are expected to last before they start to dry up. Also lucky enough that the first few early runs from the January thaw will produce enough to make the risk of tapping early to be worth it.

Right now is still early. The more traditional season is closer to March.

I'm tapped at the moment but I'm on gravity tubing which can extend the life of my tap holes and I'm also much further south than you. With where I am located right on the coast my climate mimics temps more inline with a location like mid Jersey. So having an understanding of your local weather patterns can be helpful when judging your luck.

n8hutch
01-29-2018, 09:37 AM
With Buckets I would wait until the weather shows an extended period like a full week of temps in the mid 40s and mid to low 20s at night, like a week with 4-5 out of 7 days with weather like that. Probably around the first week of march.

unclejohn
01-29-2018, 11:07 AM
we have had success in Missouri already. Had a few days last week with lows in 20s and highs in 50s. The inch of snow melted and mud is more of a problem getting around than snow. Good luck to all Maine producers. JS

Mvhomesteader
01-30-2018, 07:17 PM
I mentioned earlier in this post that I wait til mid February, and I am glad I did. Up till this week it has been a cycle of warm/cold every two to three days, with only a day around 40 to 45. Though I am anxious to get some taps in, once they are in I need to maintain them. Now with a prolonged cold spell in the works any early small run would be shut down, so I really would not gain anything. I spend this early time getting everything in order so in a few weeks I will be ready. Good luck to all!

2'x4' concrete block arch with 3 hotel pans
16 to 20 taps 2018
8 taps 2016, 3 gallons

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
02-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Hello there,
This is the fifth year that my kindergarten-second grade class. The sugaring process offers so many chances for learning (math, measurement, tree id, converting liquids, fire starting skills, discover animal tracks in the snow while tapping, history, lore, legend, science, boiling points and exercise to name a few). We typically make between 11-17 gallons of syrup each year using simple spouts and buckets- impressive for a young group. The Riley School is located in Rockport Maine (mid-coast) so-
HAS ANYONE TAPPED ALREADY OR WAIT A BIT? We are on the Maine Maple Sunday tour again and need to get started.17558175571755917560 17565

PS- If you are know anyone that is passing on supplies (taps, pails, 5 gallon buckets....) please keep us in mind. Thank You. Happy Tapping. Check out the link below for photos and info.
http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

Thomas Maxwell Hume
02-12-2018, 01:45 PM
I am thinking about tapping some this weekend in Westbrook.

Mark B
02-12-2018, 05:33 PM
The whole general central Maine area is right there. Unfortunately many of the "warmer" days are cold wet days, with rain or frozen precip. I plan on tapping during school vacation week.