PDA

View Full Version : New Guy 2.0

bigrick_2u
01-10-2018, 03:24 PM
OK.... SO last year I attempted to tap a few trees but I'm pretty sure I was too late in the season. It was discouraging and I didn't get any sap, really.

I used some huge spiles, as well. I have ordered some 5/16 spiles/fittings and 2 foot long tubing kit and it looks like my timing should be a lot better. Anyways, does anyone have any tips for me before I tap my first trees this year? Going to be brutally cold this weekend in southern Ohio (home) and maybe next week if it warms up, it could be promising.

Thanks!!

barnbc76
01-10-2018, 03:50 PM
I can't say much as to the correct time to tap in your region, how many taps you planning, and what are you planning to boil On? As for tapping make sure you have the right tapping bit, I've tried regular bits I had on hand, they do not work well because your taps will leak sap all on the ground and not get a good seal.

maple flats
01-10-2018, 04:21 PM
If you are only tapping a few, here's some pointers. 1. Be sure it is a maple tree (sugar maple, black maple, red maple and silver maple are best in that order. You can also tap Box Elders, which are a maple but don't look like one. 2. Drill a 5/16 hole using a sharp maple tapping bit, drill 1.5-2" deep, go in and out in one non stop motion and do not wobble the drill, then tap the spile (a maple tap is called a spile) in gently until the sound changes, just hit it gently or you will split the bark and ruin the taphole (many new producers tend to hit the spile too hard and set it in so tight the bark gets split., . If you tapped the same trees last year, tap on the opposite side of the tree this year. For a 10-17" diameter tree (at breast height), 1 tap, 18"-25" you can go 2 taps and over 25" you can have 3, never more than 3. When to tap, when only doing a few, watch the extended forecast, when you see 4 or more freeze thaw cycles in the 15 day forecast, tap just before the first one.
4. When you get the sap, boil it soon, do not store it for an extended time unless you can keep it at 35F or under, think of sap like milk, if milk would spoil, sap will too.
5. A hydrometer is best, but for home use, many guess when it is actually syrup. If you go the guess method, let some cool, then taste it, if it seems to be proper density, refrigerate it to keep it from spoiling. If you verify density by a hydrometer, do it at 209F + or at 60F, there is a red line for proper density at both temperatures. If you thus verify density, you can filter the syrup and bottle it at 180-190F and it will keep well.
6. By far, most important, keep it fun.

BSD
01-10-2018, 04:25 PM
I can't say much as to the correct time to tap in your region, how many taps you planning, and what are you planning to boil On? As for tapping make sure you have the right tapping bit, I've tried regular bits I had on hand, they do not work well because your taps will leak sap all on the ground and not get a good seal.i learned last year how much better real tapping bits work than "regular" drill bits. good tip!

don't use a stick or blow out the holes. let the sap run out for a few seconds before putting the tap in. i use a 2# dead blow hammer to set my taps, nice and easy. dont' drive them in too hard or you can split the bark and tree.

a poor mans RO is to freeze some of the water in the sap before you boil. a big chest freezer works well for small qty's if you're only doing a handful of trees; if the weather doesn't do it for you

bmbmkr
01-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Hey BigRick,

I'm in Lawrence County OH, this is only my third year, last year I tapped on Superbowl Sunday, got plenty of sap, but the wx turned so warm I lost A LOT of sap before I could get it boiled. I was hoping to tap this week, but other responsibilities have kept me from it- I am shooting for next Thursday, as the wx shows over a week of 20/40 weather starting next Friday.

As the others have said, a maple bit is worth is weight in gold. Never blow the dust out with your mouth this = bacteria that will contribute to sap spoilage and the tap hole drying sooner. I keep all of my tools and tubing fittings as clean as I am eating off of them. Good luck and welcome to the trader. Ben

bigrick_2u
01-16-2018, 08:12 AM
I can't say much as to the correct time to tap in your region, how many taps you planning, and what are you planning to boil On? As for tapping make sure you have the right tapping bit, I've tried regular bits I had on hand, they do not work well because your taps will leak sap all on the ground and not get a good seal.

Interesting. I have a very nice drill set and never thought about investing in actual maple drills. Thanks!

bigrick_2u
01-16-2018, 08:13 AM
If you are only tapping a few, here's some pointers. 1. Be sure it is a maple tree (sugar maple, black maple, red maple and silver maple are best in that order. You can also tap Box Elders, which are a maple but don't look like one. 2. Drill a 5/16 hole using a sharp maple tapping bit, drill 1.5-2" deep, go in and out in one non stop motion and do not wobble the drill, then tap the spile (a maple tap is called a spile) in gently until the sound changes, just hit it gently or you will split the bark and ruin the taphole (many new producers tend to hit the spile too hard and set it in so tight the bark gets split., . If you tapped the same trees last year, tap on the opposite side of the tree this year. For a 10-17" diameter tree (at breast height), 1 tap, 18"-25" you can go 2 taps and over 25" you can have 3, never more than 3. When to tap, when only doing a few, watch the extended forecast, when you see 4 or more freeze thaw cycles in the 15 day forecast, tap just before the first one.
4. When you get the sap, boil it soon, do not store it for an extended time unless you can keep it at 35F or under, think of sap like milk, if milk would spoil, sap will too.
5. A hydrometer is best, but for home use, many guess when it is actually syrup. If you go the guess method, let some cool, then taste it, if it seems to be proper density, refrigerate it to keep it from spoiling. If you verify density by a hydrometer, do it at 209F + or at 60F, there is a red line for proper density at both temperatures. If you thus verify density, you can filter the syrup and bottle it at 180-190F and it will keep well.
6. By far, most important, keep it fun.

Lots of great info here, thanks!!!

bigrick_2u
01-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Hey BigRick,

I'm in Lawrence County OH, this is only my third year, last year I tapped on Superbowl Sunday, got plenty of sap, but the wx turned so warm I lost A LOT of sap before I could get it boiled. I was hoping to tap this week, but other responsibilities have kept me from it- I am shooting for next Thursday, as the wx shows over a week of 20/40 weather starting next Friday.

As the others have said, a maple bit is worth is weight in gold. Never blow the dust out with your mouth this = bacteria that will contribute to sap spoilage and the tap hole drying sooner. I keep all of my tools and tubing fittings as clean as I am eating off of them. Good luck and welcome to the trader. Ben

Nice!!! I'm just up the road from you! I think I'm going to tap tomorrow night. It's going to warm up in 2 or 3 days but then go back down to a nice 20/40 range. Fingers crossed and hoping to learn a lot this year.

bigrick_2u
01-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Ok, so looking at the weather, we are approaching several days over the next week (including today) that will reach above freezing daytime, and below freezing nights. Tapped a few last night. Excited to see how it turns out!

Thanks everybody.