PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Upgrade?

Pete33Vt
05-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Well I went and got a job where I might not get layed-off during sugaring. The problem is if I'm gonna sugar I need a more reliable vacuum system. The system now is an old surge alamo pump, electric motor, electric releaser. I had all kinds of problems with it last year,. Had to babysit it alot. Its a goofy set-up. Once releaser is full and trips the switch the electric pump has to pump it about 500 yards to the sugarhouse, with a life of about 35-45 ft. Its worked like this for over 17 years so that parts not the problem. tThe problem is having to baby sit it. Either the releaser would mess up or the vacuum pump would go haywire. So I am looking into a different set-up one thats bullet proof. Was thinking of getting rid of the electric releaser and going mechanical. Then I would have to gather everything from the vacuum shed and transfer to sugarhouse. Any thoughts? Types? Or anyone ooking for a babysitting job. PAYS REALLY CHEAP.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
At least on the babysitting end of it, I would definately go with a mechanical releaser. They are great! Mine worked flawlessly all year! it's a Gilles Bernard, but I hear the lapierre ones are basically identical. the ONE drawback, for me though, and it sounds to be the same with you, is having to go out and gather it. It wouldn't work for me, But in your case you might be able to have the releaser dump into a tank that had a float switch that controlled a pump to get the sap home? just a thought.

danno
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
What problems were you having with the releaser and pump.

My Mechanical Lapierre works great as well. I would recommend some light food grade grease occasionally. Later in the season releaser float stayed stuck in the up/open position couple times. Grease ended that problem.

I run a Delaval pump, but my neighbor swears by his surge. He runs it off a gas motor deep in the woods and leaves it at 23" for days at a time.

Parker
05-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Of the diffrent styel pumps I have run (vane and piston) I have had the best luck with the surge sp-11 and sp-22,(gas powered),they pull high vacuum (22") all season and have yet to have a failure with them,I have had self inflected problems with the gas moters running them,,
The big massport senior in hill (vane pump) wich is run by a thermostat and a 3hp electric moter has also been flawless BUT it only pull 18" and the electric bill this year was $378 + 17 gallons of oil....
I have run surge 76's in the past and they seem to be high maintaince (but they were kinda junkers to start with)
I prefer the piston pumps
I would look into a mechanical releaser,,as long as they are lubricated they seem to work just fine
Like Breezy Lane said, have a float switch in your tank hooked to an electric pump and you should have a trouble free system
My 2 cents

markcasper
05-17-2007, 06:50 AM
I'd have to agree with Parker on the sp-11's and 22. I have 3 of them in use each season and they just keep on huumin.

I only ever replaced one and that was the first one that I ever had. That one was on the gathering tank which started in 1993. It swallowed sap way too many times, ran it right clear out of the exhaust. Actually my help did this, not smart enogh to shut the valve off when the tank got full.

On my first vauum expedition in 03 I tried and threw out 2 rotaries that spring, the 3rd was an sp-11 and thats still turning it today.

Pete33Vt
05-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the info it gives me some food for thought.