PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 drop flue pan

wanabe
03-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Maple Guys,

I have a guick question a guy my father in-law knows dropped off a 2x6 drop flue pan and told me to make him an offer on it. It seems to be in fairly good shape except it is not S.S. just soldered steel. One divider has come loose from the end and there is some rust in the upper area of pan above sap level. Is the pan worth picking up and how much should I offer? Thanks jeff

Fred Henderson
03-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Walk away from it, If you start with problems then you will have many more to follow. It is my gut feel that soldered pans will soon fall by the wayside, however I hope not because they are still a lot of them in use and in good condition.

WF MASON
03-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Don"t walk,RUN, and take your money with you !! If its falling apart, it an't gonna get no better, and its also LEAD solder. Save your pennies and get something welded, new or used you'll be way ahead. Welded don't leak.

Salmoneye
03-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Nothing wrong with soldered pans...As long as they are silver soldered stainless steel and you know enough not to let your pans run dry...

English Tin are not a good idea any more for the simple fact that the States and Provinces want commercial producers to get away from anything that adds lead to Syrup...The 'tinning' on English Tin pans (like on a milk can) can leach lead into sap...As can lead based solders and 'zinc' dip galvanized metals...

The pan you describe is marginal at best...

wanabe
03-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys I ended up with the pan and preheater pan for free anway.I dont think Ill use it though It sounds like it might not be a good idea to build a new arch to fit this old pan. Thanks again Jeff