PDA

View Full Version : Question about bricking ...

Sly41985
01-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Just purchased a leader wise 2x6. I was given full bricks for evaporator and purchased the 1" insulation board from bascom. Is this overkill for insulation? Manual says to used half bricks. Wasn't sure if it mattered or not. Also what's the best way people have found to cut the insulation board? Doesn't look like a utility knife would work that well. Thanks a lot I do appreciate the help!!!

maple flats
01-09-2018, 06:10 PM
A good serrated knife cuts it well. While half bricks would work full bricks are fine too. Putting the 1" insulation behind the bricks helps keep the heat under the pans rather than losing it thru the sides. More heat to the pans is good.

Bricklayer
01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
A circular saw with either the blade on backwards ( so the dull side does the cutting) or a masonry or carbon blade for cutting steel on the circular saw will work in a pinch. I cut all mine on a table saw with the blade on backwards. Pretty dusty so wear a mask.

maple maniac65
01-09-2018, 08:04 PM
A well insulated arch pays off 17 years down the road when it still looks brand new. Little to no heat loss means no rust especially if you have a galvanized arch. My arch has 1 inch ceramic board and full brick. Has no rust.

Sly41985
01-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Awesome! I was worried it would make the firebox too small but glad i asked! Thanks again for the help!!

maple flats
01-10-2018, 07:48 AM
You will want to use half brick for the top course so the heat gets to the outer reaches of the pans better.