PDA

View Full Version : Lining a cinder block evaporator

plummaple
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi guys,

I am in the process of builing my first Permenent cinderblock evaporator. I just poured the slab yesterday. My question is should I line the blocks with fire brick, or the insulating blanket that they sell on this site? Or both? I have made plans to accept a 2' x 3' pan. It is a small thing, however I want to make it last. Thank you for your thoughts.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-17-2007, 07:22 AM
I would line it with firebrick and it should last many years. Better yet would be to spend a little more and build an arch out of the firebrick and it would probably last for 40 or 50 years. Just lay the firebrick flat and put a skim coat of refractory cement between them and on each end and you would have an arch to be proud of and would last and work great.

Fred Henderson
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
The biggest draw back to that type of arch is to keep it level or to relevel it. You will have to relevel by shimming the pans.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Fred,

Guess I forget the problems you guys have with the arches up there. I could put in a 6" footer or less inside a building down here and never have to worry about that. We run water lines 18 inches deep here or less would be fine.

Fred Henderson
05-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Brandon, I had to replace my water line to the sugarhouse and where I have snow cover it is 5' deep and under the driveway it is 7'(no snow cover). My daughter lives in NC and they are barely covered there.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Definitely amazing in a few hundred miles the difference.