PDA

View Full Version : 2018 season is here...possibly.

scottdevine
01-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Been wondering why things have been so quiet? Through DM's i have with other CT sugar makers, it's funny...people asking why the forum is so quiet? Too early is probably the most popular answer, and I agree, but couldn't resist putting out 40 taps today for a test...and lo and behold (see photo)! The temptation after looking at the 10 day extended overpowered me, LOL...I'm traveling this week, and said, "screw it, just put out a few and see if you can play with the RO this weekend". It also gave me time to tighten up the lines and install half my drops. Looking forward to a good, fun, adventure filled season.

Woodsrover
01-07-2018, 07:28 PM
I'm going to chock this week up to a January thaw and (try) not to get too excited about it. That said, I'm cleaning my totes tomorrow and if I get a chance to take a day off work this week, I may just run my lines. We'll see.....

Mike Van
01-08-2018, 04:10 PM
I'm going to wait out this little thaw too, but maybe in about a week? Have to see. I did get that 20v drill I needed, and just today ordered a filter press from Daryl Sheets. No more ever so sloooooooow dripping bags in this lifetime. 10 below zero yesterday AM. ouch.

markgm
01-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Depending on the provider, the forecast looks either good or great! I'll be tapping tomorrow, hoping to do 50 taps this year. 7 out of 9 days above freezing from one weather site, and 11 out of 14 days on another; not too shabby.

markct
01-09-2018, 12:36 PM
It's been very cold for some time now, things are froze solid including trees and a few days of warm isn't going to thaw them and bring flow

markgm
01-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Time to wait and see what happens. Just finished drilling 52 taps in 36 trees. Some were dripping before I could get the tap tapped in. Should be a busier year for me, as last year I had 30 taps.

Helicopter Seeds
01-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Hey Scott -Did you make a shack? or will you do the RO inside and boil same as before.

Feb 3rd for me, more or less..