PDA

View Full Version : From the deep freeze to tapping weather? Anyone tapping?

koliver
01-07-2018, 04:42 AM
It's been arctic. As I type this, it is -6 outside, with a feels like temp in the -20s, but the 15 day forecast for northeastern Massachusetts has 13 days with temps above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. Anyone tapping?

Regards,
Kyle

mike103
01-07-2018, 08:50 AM
I would say not yet Kyle, based on several thoughts. I am not a Maple Vet but my 50 + years on this earth tells me this winter is shaping up tougher than last few winters in the northeast. Its easy to get tempted with a January thaw but I think unless your particular setup includes checkvalve taps and full time vacuum you might be losing out on good sap in late feb early march due to bacteria especially if your running sugar maples and not reds. Another thing is keep an I on posts from VA, NJ, and MD because they kickoff first every year. For me, I am thinking last week of January for taps. Best of Luck!
Mike

johnpma
01-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Slight warm up on the weekend.......thinking about stringing some lines. Hope the temps holds true.

MikeR
01-17-2018, 06:56 AM
I think I'm going to get in the game this weekend. The next 10 days or so are looking pretty good.

berkshires
01-17-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm seriously thinking about tapping this weekend. It seems crazy early, especially on buckets. But the forecast seems to be saying it's time... I'm going to wait until NOAA puts out their new model for February, which should come out on Thursday, to decide for sure.