PDA

View Full Version : new ibc totes

rich1
01-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Hi,
I'm having difficulty finding new reasonably priced ibc totes for sap collecting.
You never know what was in the used ones.
Does anyone know of any sources around the St Louis area?
Thanks

WhistlePig
01-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Here in northeast PA, we have a local source to purchase the "bottles" new. I can get just the bottle ($140), or a refurbed tote ($180), which is a used frame and a new bottle. The bottles are sealed direct at manufacturer, so I know they are clean. These are 275 gallon totes. 2017 was our first year, striving for clean, sanitary commercial production. Most of the "used food grade" tote sources we found on craigslist, etc were "sketchy".

David in MI
01-06-2018, 01:36 PM
We buy a load of totes every year for use in our operation and then I sell them at the end of the season. All of ours are marked as FDA approved for food use and the papers indicating the original contents are all included with the totes. I'm surprised you're having a difficult time finding them down there as they seem to be everywhere in MI.

maple flats
01-07-2018, 08:09 AM
All the ones I've bought over the years were from guys who work at a place that gets a food product in them and repacks it to consumer sizes. Just make sure that food product would leave not an offensive taste residue. I got them from places that repack pure vanilla extract (it happens to be one flavor in maple syrup) canola oil, olive oil, sesame oil, but most were labeled as having had apple juice concentrate in them. Then clean them out thoroughly. If one looks questionable, reject it.