PDA

View Full Version : Digital Refractometer

ennismaple
05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have experience with digital refractometers? My father tends to make syrup that's too thick and I want something more accurate than the handheld unit we have.

The Atago PAL-maple looks great and idiot-proof but it's kinda pricey ($400 US). Any thoughts?

Fred Henderson
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I bought a nor digital from ebay for around 65 bucks. But I prefer the hydrometer.

ibby458
05-07-2007, 05:37 AM
My syrup buyer said they're junk. Since he's got a 20,000 tap operation, and every toy in the book, if he says they're junk, I gotta wonder if they're not very accurate.

ennismaple
05-07-2007, 10:23 AM
We've got a hand-held refractometer but since it's temperature sensitive the accuracy can vary significantly. We draw off frequently and in large batches and bottle a lot of our syrup straight out of the pan that it's filtered into beside the evaporator. That's why I was curious about the Atago PAL-maple. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a hydrotherm - easy to use and temperature corrections are built in. Plus it's a lot cheaper!

royalmaple
05-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I saw a demo on the atago digital refractometer and I could be wrong but I thought they had auto temp built in? Guy said they use it for hot syrup or cold, and worked for sap too. But holy, for 400+ or 500 bucks. I can buy some hydrometers.

Russell Lampron
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
The Maple Guys Accu-cup has a built in digital thermometer to tell you the temperature and then any syrup hydrometer will work. More accurate and a lot less expensive.

Russ

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
And probably easier to read than the thermometer in the hydrotherm.

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
ennismaple - did you ever purchase the Atago PAL-maple? Been wondering about it myself.

Frank Ivy
02-21-2010, 10:34 AM
400 bucks for an electronic doo-dad that is shock sensitive, prone to electrical damage, and that always needs batteries?

No thanks.

If it's about measuring sap, I'd say a 20 % range 40 dollar refractometer with ATC would probably work great. Hydrometer, obviously, would work great.

H. Walker
02-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have experience with digital refractometers? My father tends to make syrup that's too thick and I want something more accurate than the handheld unit we have.

The Atago PAL-maple looks great and idiot-proof but it's kinda pricey ($400 US). Any thoughts?

If you want one I'll sell you one cheap, real cheap!!

NO, I wouldn't do that to you!! I bought one last year and it is still in "like new condition". I thought that I could double check my hot syrup with it BUT:
1. it has to be recalabrated at least every day
2. the cup can have to much to be accurate, or not enough
3. I found that if I did a test and then waited a couple of moments and pushed the test button again with the same sample that I got a different reading. If it truely is tempature compensated should the reading not be the same??
I was looking for a instrument that was a go-to 100% instrument not a maybe, sometimes, could be, instrument.

It is the first maple toy that I ever wished that I had listened to my wife on.

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks H. Walker. It's likely one of those things that works great in the lab but leaves much to be desired in the field (or bush in our case). The gizmo certainly appeals to me but if it's not the Holy Grail of refractometers I'm not interested given it's price. As a previous poster stated - I can break, loose, or mistrust many hydrometers before ever coming close to the same expense.

But still... pretty cool idea in theory. :)

KenWP
02-21-2010, 01:20 PM
It's actually very good technology just cheap is cheap. Sort of like useing a 5 dollar hammer and a $50 dollar hammer. I use a $50 dollar cordless drill and had a good one once and theres no comparision.

H. Walker
02-21-2010, 03:18 PM
It's actually very good technology just cheap is cheap. Sort of like useing a 5 dollar hammer and a $50 dollar hammer. I use a $50 dollar cordless drill and had a good one once and theres no comparision.

Well everybody's bank account may be different but for me $495.00 + tax + shipping is not cheap!

KenWP
02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I thought you were talking about the $40 dollar ones. The other ones should work. I am almost a luddite so something that complicated is out for me unless somebody else pays for it.

ennismaple
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Since I wrote this post several years ago we got the PAL-Maple. It takes some getting used to and I don't think it's any more accurate than the hand-held light refractometers. On most days I use both and if they read close to the same I average it out and call it good!

halladaymaple
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi:

I have used them all and still find the hydrotherm the most reliable and easiest to check. Leave it in the syrup tank and start bottling when its ready. In fact I have 1, one sitting in the syrup and I I use in a hyrdotherm cup that I check ust to make sure before I bottle. I do know that I do not have to put batteries in them and they will last forever or until you drop it ! what ever comes first.

Darrell

BryanEx
02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
It takes some getting used to and I don't think it's any more accurate than the hand-held light refractometers.
Would you say it's any more convenient or versatile? Is there any advantage to an Atago versus a conventional refractometer?

johnallin
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Would you say it's any more convenient or versatile? Is there any advantage to an Atago versus a conventional refractometer?

Bryan, I bought an Atago Pal Maple last year and think it works great. Can be used for sap or syrup, any temp will work and it gives a quick reading, but like any quality instrument - binoculars, camera etc - it's not something you want to leave on the floor of the truck.

Seems to me it was US$395 and I figured I would have it for several years. So 10 years = $39/year, heck I spend that much on beer in a month so it's really no big deal. If you are thinking of purchasing a refractometer, I think it's worth it, will it replace a hydrometer, no but it's good in the field for testing trees.

My 2¢

BryanEx
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks John... perfect description for me. Just wondering what needs to be done between readings? You test sap or syrup but then you want to test another batch. There must be some type of cleaning needed and can it be easily done in the field?

johnallin
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
You are welcome.

You need to clean the glass with a drop of distilled water, a small cloth works for me to wipe it off. It's really not a big pain once you get in the habit of doing it, but it is important for accurate readings.