PDA

View Full Version : Tubing newbie - L-shaped 3/16 run

dvnwvt
12-31-2017, 04:02 PM
Totally new to tubing (as in have never touched the stuff). I have a single line of 10-12 trees down a slope having a 30+ ft drop. At the top of the slope, perpendicular to the slope above, I have another 10-12 trees over about 50 ft. of level ground. So am thinking about an L-shaped 3/16 tubing line to utilize the vacuum down the slope. But, is there any advantage in using 5/16 on the top, level leg of the L, reducing to 3/16 down the slope? Or should I just run 3/16 the entire way?

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-31-2017, 04:33 PM
run 3/16 the entire length

BSD
12-31-2017, 04:57 PM
ditto, run all 3/16. I aim for 25 trees per line on 3/16

maple flats
12-31-2017, 06:49 PM
Run all 3/16, from what you call an L shape, buy simply running around the corner tree. Just try not to go over 35 taps max on the 3/16 line.
3/16 if far better in that case, because of the way sap and air (gases) move in the line, on 5/16 the air allows the sap to flow under it, and you get poorer movement, on 3/16 they travel segregated, you will see an air bubble separating the sap and it will travel that way to the end and into your tank or pump if using one. The taps on the flat will all get maximum vacuum, and then coming down the slope, as you get to where you have less drop below that tap, vacuum will gradually fall, but all will get vacuum as long as there is some fall downhill from that tap.

johnpma
01-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Run all 3/16, from what you call an L shape, buy simply running around the corner tree. Just try not to go over 35 taps max on the 3/16 line.
3/16 if far better in that case, because of the way sap and air (gases) move in the line, on 5/16 the air allows the sap to flow under it, and you get poorer movement, on 3/16 they travel segregated, you will see an air bubble separating the sap and it will travel that way to the end and into your tank or pump if using one. The taps on the flat will all get maximum vacuum, and then coming down the slope, as you get to where you have less drop below that tap, vacuum will gradually fall, but all will get vacuum as long as there is some fall downhill from that tap. Question regarding 3/16" and as mentioned about "running around a tree" to do a 90 degree turn........with 3/16" do you get any distortion in the bend around the tree which may restrict or influence vacuum? Do they make any kind of support for bends like that to keep the tubing from flattening out?

Super Sapper
01-02-2018, 11:05 AM
You will not have a problem going 90 degrees around a tree unless you are pulling it way too hard.

maple flats
01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Johnpma, you are way over thinking this. No extra support needed. As you go from tree to tree you weave back and forth from one tree to the next, and pick up other species in between too, this helps hold the tubing at the desired elevation.