PDA

View Full Version : Sagging arch.

cjf12
12-28-2017, 07:22 PM
I have been trying to tweak my pans to get them level. The absolute best i can do at the moment is to get them where the syrup pan is 1/2 inch low towards the draw on both sides. Level side to side but sags toward the draw offs. I could jack it up to get it level for the season since repairing it now isn't going to happen. To many learning curves to get through. Do you think it will matter since its consistently out of whack on both sides?

Bucket Head
12-28-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure what exactly you have going on there without seeing it, but I would jack it up, shim the legs, shorten the legs, etc.- whatever you can do- to get it as close to level as possible. Then fix it during the off season.

cjf12
12-29-2017, 05:27 AM
To describe it another way. If your looking at the rig from the side it has a very slight smile to it. 1/2 inch low in the middle from arch stressing over time and sagging. Otherwise plumb in all other directions.

maple flats
12-29-2017, 07:33 AM
For now, jack the low spot on each side, then weld adjustable legs there after the season. Adjustable legs can be as simple as a black iron pipe with a heavy nut welded on the bottom, then use a full thread bolt into the nut, turn bolt to adjust. Oil or grease the bolt every year so it will continue to turn if needed.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-29-2017, 09:55 PM
Piece of angle iron with The top of the V welded onto arch rail with adjustable large bolt on bottom works really well.
Let

sap retreiver
12-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Wait till you fire it. Let the front sit off the ground a bit and once the heat gets to it it should come into it. That's what it took to make mine sit right

Sugarmaker
01-01-2018, 09:56 AM
I have been trying to tweak my pans to get them level. The absolute best i can do at the moment is to get them where the syrup pan is 1/2 inch low towards the draw on both sides. Level side to side but sags toward the draw offs. I could jack it up to get it level for the season since repairing it now isn't going to happen. To many learning curves to get through. Do you think it will matter since its consistently out of whack on both sides?

How long is your arch? My guess its over 8 feet? Probably a 10 or 12 foot arch?
If so it is hard to raise that portion of the arch in the center without taking the top rail almost off. BTDT.
I think I would shim the pans with long thin strips of steel laid on the rails, getting shorter but thicker as you get near the saged area. Maybe even do this upside down with a 1 foot long shim then a 2 foot long shim and so forth till you get the pans within 1/4 inch. Run your sap a little deeper as you boil to make sure you dont draw the pans down in the front and back.
Pictures would sure help too. Next season you can tear into it and try to straighten the rails up.
Regards,
Chris

Potters3
01-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Shim with rail gasket. Put extra gasket where the smile is. All rails overtime warp of sag, get some 1" and 1/2" gasket and shim until you are level or at least close to it.