PDA

View Full Version : Pump from Preheater to Evaporator

christwo
03-12-2004, 07:58 AM
I use a 20 gal. heavy stainless steel Stock pot powered by propane to preheat the sap. However scooping it with a 3 quart pan from the pot to the evaporator is getting pretty tireing. Anyone use any type of small pump (aquarium style maybe) with an adjustable flow to get the sap from point A to point B.

I don't want to drill any holes in this pot and try to make a drain and hose but if that is all I can do well......

Is this any such thing as toooo much sap !!!!!

thanks

mapleman3
03-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi Chris, we are neighbors, I'm in Belchertown, never enough sap :lol: I would worry about the temp more for the pump but if your not going to hot... I have a couple of small submersible pumps if you want to try? both are exactly what you are talking about. if they work your welcome to use them for the season, I'd hate to see ya work too hard at it :wink: , if you want to try, I'll be boiling tonight and all weekend, my phone is 289-2189, or my cell if you want to call during the day today is 246-2813...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
If you could set the pot up above the evaporator and run the sap to the evaporator with copper pipe or tubing. Might have to drill a hole in the pot and put a valve on it or you could try to get it so siphon down into the evaporator which should work good if you keep the liquid level above the end of the pipe or tubing.

mapleman3
03-12-2004, 12:57 PM
tough to put a gas heating unit higher than the evap though, kinda dangerous if it tips... be careful

backyardsugarer
03-12-2004, 01:46 PM
I have a 30 gallon drum with copper tubing running off it and a valve to control flow. It works great, I simply pump sap into the barrel and regulate using the valve.

Chris

christwo
03-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tips...

Jim I will definitely hook up with you and check out your operation..

Thanks also for the offer of the use of the pumps. That was my mine concern, putting a plastic pump in the hot/warm sap.

Maybe not having a submersible pump and using one that could drop the inlet tube in the sap pot and the outlet into the evaporator and keeping the pump away from all the liquids. I have not been able to find any pumps that are not submersible. I will try the local fish dealers and see what they have.

Also I have taken your tips about the spring loaded doors closures and the pulley system and put them to work in my shack... so much easier than climbing the ladder over the evaporator to close the doors.

chris

mapleman3
03-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Chris I look forward to meeting you, and sometime come see your operation too, we can try the pumps anyway, I'm not using them , worth the experiment :D I suppose if you had a sufficient siphone and didn't lose it ... you may be able to use a pump outside of the pot.
glad your vent doors are working out good !!!

Fred Henderson
03-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Have worked in the pipefitting & plumbing field for over 35 years I can say that no pump will pump hot liquid for very long if at all. The motor on the submersible will trip the internal overload due to the high heat. A siphon or a valve from your perhearter will be the best.