PDA

View Full Version : New build

tonka
12-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Merry Christmas all! So I want to hear from you guys on my new evaporator I just started building. The main thing I want to know is, will this setup work for forced air? In the photo of the whole arch: the blower will be blowing in on the bottom left side into the bottom chamber, I have about a 2" gap (right side of photo/front of arch) for the air to move from bottom chamber to top manifolds to blow above fire/arch(aof). Im planning on installing nossels on both sides of the door and a manifold above the door shown in one picture. Not planning on having auf at this moment.

maple flats
12-24-2017, 01:34 PM
That should work fine, just make sure the nozzles are angled down about 12-15 degrees. It would have been better if the rectangular tube was welded in so the long side was reaching down and the holes for the nozzles near the bottom of the wide face. Specs for HP APF call for the air to be introduced 6" below the pan and angled down about 12 degrees. How wide will the arch be?
In the Proctor Maple Research site, there is a paper giving the best way to design AOF.

tonka
12-24-2017, 01:49 PM
The arch is 4 ft wide. The manifold is bent flat sheet steel. I can plug holes and do as you suggested. I have the arch insert just sitting in place So I can do modifying if needed.

tonka
12-24-2017, 11:21 PM
How efficient will an evaporator be only using aof and aff (air in front of fire) (being injected around the door)? After doing some reading, it's cheaper to go under fire since one can get by with a squirrel cage but air over fire is far more efficient when it comes to getting a cleaner burn and less fuel cunsumption. Dose one really need auf? At the very most 30% of the air is used, I know you won't see the same results when using only aof compared to using both aof and auf. Just curious to what your view on the matter is.

Russell Lampron
12-25-2017, 04:00 AM
I think that you will need AUF so that the wood will burn fast enough and produce enough flame for the AOF to be effective.

tonka
12-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I do believe you're right there Russell. So I did some more digging on AUF and AOF trying to take in as much as I can and I seen a couple guys mention that they use 2 blowers, a squirrel cage for under fire and high pressure blower for over fire. If one would go this route of using 2 blowers, do the blowers need to be as big as suggested in the study done by Proctor Research Center on Combustion for AOF and for example in the Leader catalog, for a 4' wide arch you need a 794 CFM squirrel cage blower for AUF, or can the blowers be down sized a little bit?