PDA

View Full Version : Are evaporator pans standard sizes?

misterclassic
12-21-2017, 08:33 PM
This is all new to me and maybe it's common knowledge among the veterans here but will evaporator pans fit other manufacturers arches? For example, will a 2x6 drop flue and finish pan made by one manufacturer fit a 2x6 arch made by another manufacturer? Or would it be like putting a Chevy engine in a Ford using Dodge parts? Like I said, this is all new to me but I'm learning.

maple flats
12-22-2017, 06:50 AM
I found out too late that they can be different. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my pans on the same arch. I was not smart enough to measure, I simply read the tags on the existing arch. One said 3x2, the other said 3x6. Thinking I was smart enough to add 2+6 I ordered a set from another manufacturer to total 8'. When they arrived they did in fact equal 8' total length. But the arch only had room for 7' 10.5". I had to make a new stack base with collar to make the arch fit the pans. I made the part 1.5" shorter in length than the original and the collar for the base stack was wider enough to get the base stack to fit, without being wider overall than the arch.
Just for definitions, the arch is the bottom, with firebox etc that supports the pans, the base stack is the long tapered smoke stack, wide at the bottom reducing to the final diameter to go up thru the roof.
My original pans had tags saying one was 3' wide and 2' long, the back pan said 3' wide and 6' long. My new pans actually measured 3' x 3' and 3' x 5'. Leader Evaporator pans are not true to size, must be something like lumber dimensions. Thor pans are true to size. I went with Thor pans because the price was over $5000 less on a 3x8 evaporator and the quality was excellent.

amaranth farm
12-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Radio Silence.

maple flats
12-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Leader quoted me $13,000 and Thor charged me $8,035. That's essentially $5000 in my book. I have no idea where your number of pans costing 60% of what a new evaporator costs.

maple flats
12-22-2017, 10:42 AM
By the way, both were during the spring post season sale period.

maple flats
12-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Another point, Thor made the pans to my specs, 10" deep flues (yes it was compared to Leader's 11" flues) and Thor made the sides 4" higher than standard for both the syrup and flues pan, Leader only said there would be a "significant" extra charge for that but before I got the numbers I'd ordered from Thor.
Yes, I sent money out of the country, but for certain it was not China.

misterclassic
12-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the response. I figured there would be some differences. All I've had to go off of so far has been pictures and catalogs and I can't take measurements from that. I'm not calling any suppliers yet, I'm just sorting out what I'll be needing for my setup. I haven't seen any evaporation system in person yet, they're not real thick here in Nebraska. The closest would probably be in Minnesota and Wisconsin and if I do any traveling like that it would be to pick up a system, not to kick tires. I've got a blower and motors sitting around and I do want to add AUF and AOF, from what I've read it's the way to go. I have a year to get this set up, looking for the spring of 2019. Next spring (2018) we'll use our glorified turkey fryer again. It's like watching paint dry or grass growing but it's all I have right now.

Brian
12-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Leader wanted 18,000 for 4x12 8 foot flue and pre heater. Thad sent me to Thor and the the price was 12,000 with hoods and ss preheater.. They custom made the switching sides for me.

maple flats
12-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Thad was the one who told me about Thor too. On my pan set, Leader's did not include a hood, nor did Thor's price I quoted, but when I got to their factory they had a demo unit for my size with 2 very minor dents and offered it to me for $800, which was $1125 off what they had priced one as I was placing my order. At just over $1900 I was going to make my own, at $800 I bought that demo unit. The dents were so slight I can no longer see where they are. That SS hood was to fit a 3x3 syrup pan and a 3x5 flue pan, each with a 15" stack, the 2 main hood s bolted together.

amaranth farm
12-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Radio Silence.

Brian
12-23-2017, 08:11 PM
That's right. But I went to leader first!!! They don't want to play. So I went north.