PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Walnut Syrup

markjustinmoore
12-19-2017, 07:53 PM
So I wanted to see if anyone out there has come up with a good system to filter Walnut Syrup. When in the process are you filtering, how often, what type of filters. Thanks for any feedback.

220 maple
12-29-2017, 05:11 AM
Sorta surprised no one has responded to your question on filtering? I'm pretty sure their are producers on this site that tap some walnut trees, I never tried it because I never have time to set up my trees, probably could tap 300 hundred or more, I been told it is difficult to filter because of Pectin, I've often wonder if a filter press used for maple would work on walnut syrup? Pectin is a wax type substance that is in Walnut Sap.
There is a producer in Ohio that I believe only makes walnut syrup, maybe the largest producer of walnut syrup, if or when I ever have time to tap my walnut trees I going to contact him. Might learn that no matter how high the price is for a 8 oz. bottle of Walnut syrup it might not be worth the effort!

Mark 220 Maple

TonyL
12-29-2017, 09:52 AM
We used regular cone filters and prefilters. Wasn’t easy or quick but it worked. Would definitely want something better if I was doing any volume.

markjustinmoore
12-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Yeah I was hoping for some different schools of thought. My initial thought was to filter a couple of times during the boiling process to possibly eliminate pectin a little bit at a time. I also spoke with a gentleman from IN. He suggested that after he had filtered it he let his syrup set in a bucket for a few days. Then he siphoned of the top which allowed for what was left of the pectin to settle at the bottom of the bucket. If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas I'm all ears. Thanks