PDA

View Full Version : Stack pipe

tbear
12-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Should I screw each section of stack pipe, rivet each section, or only worry about securing each section of pipe that extends above the roof? It's stainless stack pipe if it makes a difference. Thanks! Ted

Paul VT
12-17-2017, 03:47 PM
I would use stainless screws. It’s how we did ours and if you need to take it apart is easier then rivets to take apart.

tbear
12-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks Paul VT. Stainless sheet metal screws?

Paul VT
12-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Yup. Any hardware store will have them.

maple flats
12-18-2017, 07:16 AM
You may find it hard to drill a hole in SS unless you use a cobalt drill bit, others dull very quickly in SS. Pick the bit that is the diameter of the screw shank not the threads. Cobalt is far better than cobalt coated.

tbear
12-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. Another question: can I use regular caulk under and around the roof jack or is there something special (high temp) i should use? Ted

Zucker Lager
12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. Another question: can I use regular caulk under and around the roof jack or is there something special (high temp) i should use? Ted

Hey Ted: if your worried about heat migrating to the caulking joint on the jack check out this stuff Z-Vent Sealant we used it for medium temp joints on things like stainless "B" vent chimney it sticks like crazy to clean metal and stands up to heat well. Jay

http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/pc/Z-Vent-Sealant-p430.htm

tbear
12-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks Zucker Lager, I'll check it out. Ted

johnallin
12-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Drilling holes in stainless sheet requires 4 things.
1- A sharp bit (I often use a step bit
2- Tapping or cutting lubricant
3- Steady-firm pressure
4 ..And most important...Low RPMs.. Run the bit too fast and you'll just burn it up.
Dip the bit into some tapping lube, start with it just barely turning, keep the pressure on it, slowly increase rpms and you'll soon see chips or a spiral of stainless. Hold that bit speed and you'll be good.