PDA

View Full Version : Warming Pan Question

turnerburner
12-13-2017, 02:35 PM
I'm getting ready to build a new 2'x3' evaporator, continuous flow pan and warming pan. My thought is to build the warming pan as part of the stack so it captures all the heat going out. I would weld a piece of stainless pipe in the center of the warming pan and add the stove pipe on top of this. Kind of hard to explain but would this be too much heat? Would I run into scorching problems?

maple flats
12-13-2017, 03:45 PM
You would get burnt sap at and just above the sap level. Look at the way member Johnny Cuervo made a pre-heater, shown on his web site: http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N00/sets/72157601539320490/

Super Sapper
12-14-2017, 05:37 AM
If you want to run a 2 x 3 evaporator and are building it, why not build a 2 x 4 and not use a preheater? If it is a divided pan the first section would be your "warming" pan. This would be more efficient and you would not get the burning on the sides or condensation dripping back in.

turnerburner
12-14-2017, 07:28 AM
That is a good question and something I hadn't considered. I guess I'm looking for the best option before I start building. I'm still new to this so any input is greatly appreciated.

boondocker
01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
My personal opinion your stack will not generate enough heat to scorch anything in a perheat pan. Depending on how big it is and how much sap is in it i guess. Many years ago when i had a homemade 2x6 i had a similar set up as to what you want to build for a prebeater. Mine would barley get warm because it was taking in fresh sap quicker then it was heating it.