PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Tubing System

IowaTap
12-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I'm a hobbyist that ran tubing for the first time last year (15 taps on 5/16" with Lunchbox). Even though I didn't really know what I was doing, it seemed to work reasonably well. This year I'd like to expand a bit and optimize the layout. I'm planning on 25 taps in 3 sections (400' long with 15' drop after last tap, 150' with 10', and 150' with 5').
1. What's the best tubing size for this layout?
2. If I wanted to pump from the collection point (lowest part of the yard) up to where I'm boiling (150' away, 30' up), what's the best way to do that? I've read that the Lunchbox can lift, but would that have too much of an impact on the vacuum generated?
Thanks!

Super Sapper
12-08-2017, 05:02 PM
I like 3/16 for these hybrid systems. Natural vac with elevation drop is nice but I have had good success on level ground with some mechanical vac. It won't work on gravity without the added mechanical vac. You will not be able to lift sap 30 feet with anything but you could put the lunchbox at the low point and pump it up. Just run an air line to it.

Acer
01-02-2018, 03:14 PM
I'm a hobbyist that ran tubing for the first time last year (15 taps on 5/16" with Lunchbox). Even though I didn't really know what I was doing, it seemed to work reasonably well. This year I'd like to expand a bit and optimize the layout. I'm planning on 25 taps in 3 sections (400' long with 15' drop after last tap, 150' with 10', and 150' with 5').
1. What's the best tubing size for this layout?
2. If I wanted to pump from the collection point (lowest part of the yard) up to where I'm boiling (150' away, 30' up), what's the best way to do that? I've read that the Lunchbox can lift, but would that have too much of an impact on the vacuum generated?
Thanks!

IowaTap,
Thats a perfect application for the Lunchbox. You won't lose much vacuum with 30' lift and 150' run on low tap count.
Use 5/16 for the lunchbox to tank run and keep it in the air. It will thaw along with your laterals.
I like 5/16 tubing for flat areas,

Lots of folks starting to use the Lunchbox as a 3/16" helper too.

Like super sapper says put the Lunchbox at the low point and pump from there, never try and suck uphill, its counter productive.

Dean