PDA

View Full Version : bulk sale question

maple flats
05-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I have never sold bulk and have a question or 3. I am going to Bascom's open house and have some bulk I am taking. These are in ss soda kegs, do I get my kegs back? If yes,Do they return them immediatly or do I have to go get them or are they shipped later? What is the proceedure to sell them at Bascom? Do they cut a check NOW or pay later? (I have 4 kegs of B to sell)

Homestead Maple
05-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Dave,
Unless Bascom's is using or should I say working with B at the time you drop it off, they would like the syrup in 5gal plastic or tin. If they are not processing the grade of syrup that you bring at the time they will keep your container and give you a container of like material back and I have never seen soda kegs being used, either 5gal plastic, tin or a drum of equal size. If you take the kegs you will have to go back another time and get them.

maple flats
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I guess I should have asked this earlier. I do not have any time tomorrow to repack in plastic as I will be busy all day at work and need to leave to get to the motel as soon as I get out of work. Are you saying I should just leave them here. I would think they would ship them if I requested, don't you? When I bought them they were banded 4/pack with steel strap and mailed. UPS should also do it.

New Hope Mapleman
05-04-2007, 04:35 AM
You should just call and ask them. I have seen them unload and wash the drums right there for you. They have steam cleaning so plan to let them clean them for you. They normally try to help anyway possible, but this weekend should be crazy for them.
Thanks

Homestead Maple
05-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Bascom's will pay you on the spot for the syrup. They will be so busy today and tomorrow that they may not empty your containers when you bring them tomorrow. Just weigh and pay and you'll have to get the containers later. As to shipping them back. You should call.

802maple
05-04-2007, 06:08 AM
You don't have to hot pack this syrup. If you have plastic to put the syrup in it might be worth taking the time to transfer so that you don't have to go back.

Russell Lampron
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Bascoms will probably empty the soda kegs while you wait. They were emptying 5 gallon containers as fast as people were bringing them in today. They were emptying my containers while they were weighing Matts and we got a chuckle watching the ropey syrup I brought in string out of the container as they were pouring it into a 55 gallon drum.

Bascoms will cut you a check or you can put it towards your purchases and if there is any left they will cut a check for the difference.

Russ

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
or Russ...you might have to cut them a check as it would be in my case. LOL

The last few times I've brought syrup(15 gal. Dr. Pepper and the blue plastic 5 gal.) they emptied them right then while I waited. But I suppose it could be busy during the open house.

Russell Lampron
05-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Ryan I had to give them another $86 besides what I had brought in for syrup but I bought most of the supplies that I need for next season.

Even though there was a steady stream of producers selling syrup they were keeping up with emptying the containers. I didn't see any soda kegs but they have a large selection of plastic and tin containers cleaned and ready for you to take as replacements.

Russ

gearpump
05-05-2007, 09:25 PM
I am sure glad I finished that bad tasteing syrup and brought it to bascoms. I spent over $350.00 and still have $80.00 on credit for my next visit. The guys at the bulk dock were very nice and did a great job at customer service. I noticed that the commerical silo there was getting a little full!!

Marty

Russell Lampron
05-06-2007, 05:09 AM
They were using more than one silo for commercial and were sorting it out by flavor when I was there. I noticed that they didn't have very much grade A syrup in them.

Russ

maple flats
05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, I just got back from Bascom's. My wife and I made it a weekend and truly enjoyed ourselves.
I did haul the soda kegs, they weighed it, tasted it and emptied my kegs. They applied my credit against purcheses and cut me a check for the bal. I am not sure I will sell bulk again soon unless it is off taste but I feel they treated me well and fairly. What I sold was all B, good flavor syrup. We bought a bag of filter aid and several cases of new shapes to us of glass. As far as future bulk sales we are going to be trying several new methods to increase sales of retail and get the higher price. I market most of mine in pints and quarts now however i do ather sizes too. We are going to begin selling at the local farmers market where we will also sell a few other things like our blueberries, melons, squash, tomatoes and some necklases my wife enjoys making. We might also add other itrems to the mix, along with the syrup, and some value added products.

Homestead Maple
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm glad you made out well with the kegs. You got all kinds of advice and I was afraid that you might not have taken them after I said that Bascom's might not empty them while you were there and end up doing it later.