PDA

View Full Version : First time filling my evaporator

rayjavu
12-06-2017, 08:51 PM
OK, I bought a used 30x10' raised flue evaporator. Now what?? How do I fill the evaporator initially? Do I just fill both pans and fire it up? I'm pretty sure I'll need some sort of step-by-step procedure. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ray :confused:

psparr
12-06-2017, 09:44 PM
I know it will be a waste of wood, but run it with water for a good few hours. That will help you get a feel for how it runs. Keep an o-**** bucket handy.
But yes, at the beginning of the season once you have enough sap to make it worth your while, just fill her up to a level your comfortable running it, and have at it.

Super Sapper
12-07-2017, 05:34 AM
If you run it on water for a few hours, add some vinegar near the end to take off the hard water scale that will form on the pan.

RileySugarbush
12-07-2017, 08:50 AM
If this is the first time you will run a continuous flow evaporator, you might want to go see someone else's in operation. That is a big rig to start out on!

Sugarmaker
12-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Dont start a fire untill you have a 1ich min in all pan areas. Raised flue should be filled from the from rear float box and then sap (water) should be held back with the float system in the front.
It should boil at a rate of 80 GPH (at least) so have some water ready in the head tank to feed the rig.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
12-15-2017, 06:16 PM
After you have gotten a little use from it on water drain completely. When you start your season, you want between 250 and 300 gal of sap before you run the first fire (or what was that much sap before running it thru an RO). That is what you need minimum to sweeten the pans. Once sweetened, they don't need to be drained unless a hard freeze is forecast (like 10 F or colder) Slush will form on the top but it will not freeze solid.