PDA

View Full Version : Small transfer pump recommendation

Wannabe
12-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Looking for recommendations on a (budget friendly) pump, that wont take forever:), to pump sap from atv tanks (15 & 55 gallon drum) to a 275 gallon tote. I can drive right to it so I don't have to pump far. I would usually be pumping 50-100 gallons at a time. There is electricity close by but am open to gas powered pumps also.

I currently do it the old fashioned way, one 6 gallon bucket at a time..

I appreciate any input.

DocsMapleSyrup
12-05-2017, 02:12 AM
I use a boat bilge pump. It works pretty well and is not very expensive.

MISugarDaddy
12-05-2017, 04:18 AM
Harbor Freight has a 1" pump, similar to the Honda WX-10, for around $150 that pumps 35 gallons per minute. With their 20% off coupon, it is around $120. We have one of these as a backup transfer pump and they pump well, but are more difficult to start than our Honda. If you consider one, replace the Chinese spark plug with an NGK and you will find it starts much easier.
Gary

phil-t
12-05-2017, 04:51 AM
What I use, at the shack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJXE9PW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3W4DU8ORENB6Z&colid=IPKYXK9G9I3G&psc=0

Biz
12-05-2017, 08:16 AM
I just bought a couple of small 12 volt Seaflo 5.5gpm diaphragm pumps for sap transfer to try next season. They are about $100 including adaptor fittings. Going to use one for sap transfer from a 50 gallon barrel up a hill to my sugarhouse, and will use another one for pumping a roadside barrel to a tank on my truck. I have only tested it as a sap vacuum pump so far, it works as good as the Shurflo 4008 for that purpose, with almost twice the flow rate. Draws about 4x more power though. The Seaflo pumps are marketed to the marine industry but the materials internal to the pump are the same ones used in other diaphragm pumps like Shurflo which are rated for potable water, so it seems like it will be fine for sap. We'll see how they hold up.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
im with Doc on this one 12 volt Bilge pump,fast and compact and around $50

Wannabe
12-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Harbor Freight has a 1" pump, similar to the Honda WX-10, for around $150 that pumps 35 gallons per minute. With their 20% off coupon, it is around $120. We have one of these as a backup transfer pump and they pump well, but are more difficult to start than our Honda. If you consider one, replace the Chinese spark plug with an NGK and you will find it starts much easier.
Gary

That's funny, I was actually looking at that same pump a couple days before I posted looking for recommendations. It seems like it would get the job done quickly compared to the electric pumps. Though I like the idea of an electric pump for the obvious reasons (no filling, fighting to get started, etc.), it just seems like the others may take longer than me doing it the old fashioned way of draining the 55 gallon drum into one bucket and then dumping it into the 275gal tote while the other bucket is filling. (I know the old fashioned way sounds ridiculous to most, but I'm cheap and it's fairly fast to empty the drums off the wheeler that way:rolleyes:)

You guys that use the bilge pumps, about how long do you think it'd take to empty the 55 gallon drums up into the tote? (sorry for my ignorance).

Thanks again and any other suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

Dennis H.
12-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Here is another option.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/pumps/120-volt-portable-utility-pump-1525-gph-63316.html

I personally have not used one of these but was looking at getting one for a transfer pump get pump sap up to my head tank.
It looks like that if there is not a lot of elevation that you will be lifting the sap it would get the job done fairly quickly, about 25 gals/min.

DocsMapleSyrup
12-06-2017, 10:39 PM
I use a larger Rule pump that pumps 30+ gals/minute but they make all sizes. I use the UTV battery to power the pump. very very simple.

Super Sapper
12-07-2017, 05:28 AM
https://jet.com/product/detail/5ce0bf0e581245f4a42e92820f75d1d6?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_nj _dur_gen_sporting_goods_a1:sporting_goods_boating_ boat_motors_a1:na:PLA_783891031_42653204578_pla-301345432696_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=783891031&is_retargeting=true&clickid=b73eb5cf-4f71-42fe-bb9a-28c6cdfb9520&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4Sdqr3q5cwcTHKjiilvXyJ YljmJ06y5LG4V50Evw-HzU1N6lTxfWNB4xoCxtkQAvD_BwE

I have a couple of these and they pump pretty good.

VT_K9
12-16-2017, 09:09 PM
When we were pumping from 55 gallon tanks in different locations in the woods (up to 200 feet) and now when we are pumping short distances in the sugar house and to pump water from an ATV tank to clean the collection tanks in the woods we have had great luck with an electric Wayne pump. We use a small generator in the woods and the outlets in the shack. I believe our oldest is probably 20 years old and we have 3 total around to use. We only use them for water, sap, and to empty the evaporator during clean out. No trash pumping.

Mike

McKenney Maples
12-16-2017, 10:27 PM
We used a generator and a wayne pump for years to collect, a little on the slow side but it gets the job done. I moved up to a red lion 1.5" from tractor supply before finally biting the honda bullet. Currently have a wx-10 and wx-15 in service.

Stiets
12-20-2017, 01:06 PM
What I use, at the shack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJXE9PW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3W4DU8ORENB6Z&colid=IPKYXK9G9I3G&psc=0

I was considering getting one of those pumps but after reading the reviews it states that you have to prime it very time with vegetable oil. Do you do that? Or have to do that each time?? Thank you.

phil-t
12-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Only if the pump was emptied out, completely. Then just fill the intake hose with sap. Once the season started, I had no issues with prime.

needmoremaples
01-27-2018, 12:19 AM
If you want a cheap way to move sap in the field here's your cheapest route. 11 bucks but it might take you 10 min. No priming just drop in and flip it on. Got it rigged up to work off the cigarette lighter outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06W51S49D/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A10AMY8UXD6Z8G&psc=1

Mark B
01-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Found this one on eBay for a pretty decent price with good reviews. I looked at reviews for the same product across eBay and on the web. This was the best price I found at the time.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F23 2486807819

maple marc
01-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Mark, will you let us know how this one works with sap?
Thanks

Dennis H.
01-28-2018, 11:41 PM
This may be too much of a pump for your app but I just picked one of these up over the weekend to replace a small 2 cycle pump and I have to say that this little guy is awesome.
It is about 2x the weight of my old 2 cycle pump but man will that thing transfer sap. After the 1st time starting it up it has taken just 1 pull of the cord to fire it up and it is way quieter than a cycle pump.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/pumps/1-in-79cc-gasoline-engine-clear-water-pump-35-gpm-63404.html

Mark B
01-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Yes I will. I am planning to plug it into my vehicles 12 volt if I can get close enough to my holding tanks. Otherwise I may have to go with plan B.

Mark B
01-29-2018, 07:51 AM
This may be too much of a pump for your app but I just picked one of these up over the weekend to replace a small 2 cycle pump and I have to say that this little guy is awesome.
It is about 2x the weight of my old 2 cycle pump but man will that thing transfer sap. After the 1st time starting it up it has taken just 1 pull of the cord to fire it up and it is way quieter than a cycle pump.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/pumps/1-in-79cc-gasoline-engine-clear-water-pump-35-gpm-63404.html

Yeah those honda powered units are pretty good. We've had one for years at the fire department. Of course it is sized and set up for our connections and purposes, but it doesn't quit.

Wannabe
01-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Well I'm leaning towards this pump www.amazon.com/WAYNE-PC4-Multi-Purpose-Suction-Strainer/dp/B0002YQUBM (even though its more than I originally wanted to spend). Those boat bilge pumps look nice too but I wish they came in 115v and I'm guessing they can't be wired for it. Those gas Predator pumps look like they'd get the job done quickly but not sure I wanna go that route.

Weathers calling for -18 come Saturday so I have a little time to decide yet(procrastinate):D.

Thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming if anyone has anymore.

maplebird
01-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Reading through all of the different pumps folks are using to transfer sap. I'm looking for one as well, my biggest concern is whether these units are actually appropriate for sap? We're making a food product and therefore need something made for that application. Any intel on that?

maple flats
01-31-2018, 11:08 AM
That was going to be my comment too. With whatever pump you use, look for at least "good for potable water" or food grade. Many do not have food safe seals, they might pump well, but contaminate every gallon they pump.
The housing, impeller and seals should be designed for food.
Lots of the pumps referred to in this thread are using recycled plastics, which could have been in contact with almost anything.

maplebird
01-31-2018, 04:21 PM
You got it Dave. Hard part is finding a pump that meets that criteria. Still looking...

amaranth farm
02-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Radio Silence.

CampHamp
02-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Since you're right up next to the tank, you'll get the full flow rate of a pump (unlike if you pump uphill). If you can wait 10min per barrel, then a pump rated at 5GPM is all you need.

I like my diaphragm pumps because they are cheap, they don't get hurt if they run dry and you don't need to prime them. If you go this route, then brushless motors will last longer so consider using your ATV battery instead of the 120v plug.

A side/future benefit might be re-purposing the pump as a sap-sucker when it's not working on transfers. Diaphragm pumps do that job well for small timers and wannabe's!

I second the comments on using food grade pumps. Look for pumps that handle *drinking water*, and that market is with RV/boat systems and home brew. Larger pumps will be well pumps or booster pumps for well water. "Clear water" does not mean drinking water and "portable" is not always potable (if you search for "potable", Google will give you "portable" hits as well).

Good luck and, now that we're all involved here, let us know how it all works out!

Biz
02-02-2018, 08:43 AM
I'm going to use a Seaflo 51-series pump this year for sap transfer, it is 5.5gpm which is good enough for me. It doesn't really say clearly that it is rated drinking water safe, but looking into the documentation, the internal materials are the same as Shurflo pumps which are rated for drinking water. Uses Polypropylene, Viton, stainless steel, santoprene for pump head, diaphragm, and valves which all look to be food safe. Only possible difference is color of housing (orange vs. black). Any chemists out there? :)

johnpma
02-02-2018, 10:07 AM
This works very well for us.....I use this with an RV drinking water hose

Wannabe
04-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Well, I ended up buying this utility pump https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/superior-1-4-hp-thermoplastic-submersible-utility-pump/0000000204892?Ntt=superior%20pump just before season started, it was on sale at the time at fleet for like $35. With my closed tanks on the 4wheeler for collecting, I have to first drain down into a 6 gallon bucket where I have this pump sitting in. With the garden hose attached it can pump up into my tote as fast as it drains down into the bucket. It sure beats lugging buckets up to the top of the tote and dumping em in by hand every time like I did in the past.

I know it's not 'food grade', and I'm sure the garden hose isn't either. I did make sure and pump a lot of fresh water through both before I used it for sap. I see no ill effects in my syrup/sap, but my back and legs sure are liking me better:).

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Swingpure
10-05-2021, 11:53 PM
Reading through all of the different pumps folks are using to transfer sap. I'm looking for one as well, my biggest concern is whether these units are actually appropriate for sap? We're making a food product and therefore need something made for that application. Any intel on that?

I am still struggling finding a food grade or potable pump. There are the RV ones. This was an inexpensive one that says it is a fresh water pump.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lippert-689052-Flow-Max-Water/dp/B0746GY2SD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=O260UQM2S3HB&dchild=1&keywords=flow+max+water+pump&qid=1633095074&sprefix=Flo+max%2Caps%2C469&sr=8-5#customerReviews

I would rather have a true outdoor transfer pump. I was concerned about the Wayne cast iron ones. I was leaning towards one, then one of the reviews talked about rusty water coming out, which would obviously be bad for the sap. The brew pumps would be good, but I don’t think they would be good for outdoor use.

CTSap4Maple
10-06-2021, 06:30 AM
This is the potable water pump and very pricey at $1,675. https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Pacer-IPW2WL-E6VCP-Water-Pump/p98016.html The pump head only is about $1,200. And there is another Pacer model at $2,000+. I’ve been searching too and can’t find anything cheaper.

Swingpure
10-06-2021, 06:56 AM
This is the potable water pump and very pricey at $1,675. https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Pacer-IPW2WL-E6VCP-Water-Pump/p98016.html The pump head only is about $1,200. And there is another Pacer model at $2,000+. I’ve been searching too and can’t find anything cheaper.

Lol, if I bought that, I would also have to factor in the $60,000 for the divorce lawyer.

I am starting to lean towards the Shurflo pumps, but I still have to learn if they can be used outdoors uncovered, and if they could push the sap about 200’, uphill about 10’ high

Biz
10-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Lol, if I bought that, I would also have to factor in the $60,000 for the divorce lawyer.

I am starting to lean towards the Shurflo pumps, but I still have to learn if they can be used outdoors uncovered, and if they could push the sap about 200’, uphill about 10’ high

It will do it easily although a little less than rated capacity. I pump 3 times as far and 5 times higher with a 5gpm pump on 1/2" line. The RV grade pumps commonly used for maple sap pumps are not waterproof but there are marine grade pumps that are available which are rated as waterproof. For example, Shurflo makes a model 4148 which is a waterproof version of their 4048 model. Cost is a little higher. I have ordered some different ones to test.

Dave

Swingpure
10-06-2021, 11:36 AM
It will do it easily although a little less than rated capacity. I pump 3 times as far and 5 times higher with a 5gpm pump on 1/2" line. The RV grade pumps commonly used for maple sap pumps are not waterproof but there are marine grade pumps that are available which are rated as waterproof. For example, Shurflo makes a model 4148 which is a waterproof version of their 4048 model. Cost is a little higher. I have ordered some different ones to test.

Dave

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. I also found a slightly less expensive, less powerful Marine Shurflo : Aqua-King II Water Pump 3GPM model 4138.

I think I will either get the 4148 or the 4138. I will feel confident that it is meant for moving fresh water and that it will stand up being outside.

Swingpure
10-25-2021, 09:46 PM
Does the Shurflo (4138) male fittings, fit a garden/rv hose fittings, or do you need an adapter like this to join them? https://www.amazon.ca/Anderson-Metals-Garden-Fitting-Connector/dp/B000FPAPM8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26LODN3O8VO0Y&dchild=1&keywords=anderson+metals+brass+garden+hose+fitting&qid=1635216212&sprefix=Andersen+metals%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-5

Thanks

Gary

Biz
10-26-2021, 08:59 AM
The 4138 pumps have a MNPT fitting, same as the 4008/4048 series so yes you need an adaptor for a garden hose. The Amazon part looks correct. I use a garden hose rated for potable or drinking water, and only use it for sap transfers. Check the specs.

Dave

Swingpure
10-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I will be using RV hose, meant for drinking water. As deals come up, I may actually buy the hose and fittings before the pump.

Swingpure
11-12-2021, 03:58 PM
Still waiting for my contact to get me a good deal on the Shurflow 4138. I was thinking today on how I would connect it to my ATV and I remembered that I had a quick connect at the back of my ATV. I had used it for connecting a battery tender to it when I used to store it in an unheated building. I wondered if it could be used as a power out and from what I have read and heard, it can be. I purchased two 10’ quick disconnect cables that I can use to interface between the pump and my ATV for three of my collection barrels and between a battery and the pump for the fourth collection barrel.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09OG7lGPhlxwjOijCbwgZsZkQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05ywYt_M6RbEi85dEmKgp0uog

Z/MAN
11-13-2021, 06:05 PM
I run my 12 volt bilge pump for transferring sap off my ATV with a plug in connector and it works fine.

Swingpure
12-19-2021, 02:38 PM
I am still waiting for my pump and we will see what I get at Christmas. If I don’t get the Shurflo 4038 I was looking for, I might instead go for the Seaflo 12V DC 5.5GPM 60PSI 55 Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump. It is less expensive and almost twice as fast.

I am going to get an in-line switch for my quick connect cable from my ATV to the pump. This will allow me to turn on and off the pump while holding the end of the hose and filling the 5 gallon pails in my ATV trailer.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0fcHUno7arlxRID4XbBTMrD1Q

Swingpure
12-24-2021, 07:21 PM
So I received a water pump for Christmas. It was an expensive gift with a lot of thought behind it. It checks all of the boxes, pumps at 3.5 gallons, can run dry, self priming, 12v, 4 diaphragms, but, it is meant for washing down a deck of a boat and not for potable water.

The parts that come in contact with the liquid are: glass filed polyprpolene, santoprene, nitrile, stainless steel. The only difference with their potable pumps is instead of santoprene, they use monprene.

I know some people use bilge pumps, or submersible pumps that are also not designed for potable water.

I am okay using this pump and not taking the shine off of a great gift, or do I go back to the gift giver to see if he could exchange the pump? He may have got a deal on this pump, that may not be available for other pumps.

Edit: I read about santoprene, the only component that touches the liquid, that is different from the potable pumps and it is considered food safe. So it may have to do with how the bearings seal, or simply the company did not want to go through the expense of getting the pump certified for this application.

This may now free up some cash to build the RO.

Biz
12-25-2021, 04:44 PM
I have run into this before. I have used several different diaphragm pumps, I am not a chemist or materials expert but here are my experiences. What I do is look for one rated for potable or drinking water use. Sometimes a pump does not specifically say that it is potable water rated but the materials are the same as ones that are potable water rated. Same materials, santoprene etc, same ratings maybe? If a pump is marketed for bilge pump, waste water, sewage, or sprayer use I tend to avoid it. I like diaphragm pumps made by Shurflo, Delavan, USA Adventure Gear, Uniflo, some Seaflo, which I believe all state that they are rated for potable water. The black polypropylene housings generally seem to be OK. I don’t believe fluid is exposed to any bearings internally. Those are just my thoughts, do your own research and let us know what you find.

Swingpure
01-04-2022, 08:16 PM
So the Whale pump I got for Christmas had a 1/2” npt inlet outlet, so I tried to find an adapter fitting from 1/2 npt to a garden hose thread, but I could find anything that would screw onto the 1/2” male npt. The only thing that would go on it was the plastic fitting that came with the pump that had a barb on it.

I went to a plumbing store and the guy looked at it and said that the plastic fitting was all that would fit on it. I did not feel that the plastic fittings would hold up to the stresses of a RV hose being moved around. I decided to make a short piece of garden hose, attached one end to the barb on the plastic fitting and added a fitting with a garden hose male fitting and a barb, then secure that piece, to remove the stress on the plastic fitting.

It looks like a real redneck fix and one friend said it looked like I was making a bomb. I hooked it up to my ATV and everything worked and it did not leak.

I still had air in the pump, but I guess that finds a way to work itself out.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/092lHkp6SkqPyEqho7fwzu4AQ

Biz
01-05-2022, 02:18 PM
A Shurflo or swivel fitting fits best, but I have found that a standard 1/2" NPT threaded PVC coupler will fit if you are careful to avoid cross threading it. Then you can adapt to other fittings. Using pipe sealant helps it thread easier. Metal NPT threaded fittings tend to strip the pump threads easily so I try to avoid them.

Dave

Pdiamond
01-05-2022, 06:33 PM
Looks pretty good Gary. If it works don't try to fix it or change it until something happens.