PDA

View Full Version : Oil fired to wood fired ?

maineboiler
12-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Let me know what you think about this----- I have a 2 X 6 MaplePro evaporator and arch that presently is fired by an oil burner. The arch is convertible (I think) to be wood fired. I really like the oil burner in that it fires up and down so quickly. It is very efficient. However, it is noisy and I am drawn to the old and rustic way of using wood. I have been clearing out our woods recently and the thought of using our soft wood for this came to me.
Has anyone else made this transition? I would suspect that a lot of sugar makers with wood fired operations yearn for a oil fired operation to avoid splitting, stacking or buying of wood.
Tell me I am crazy and maybe you will save me a lot of hassle. However, there is something about boiling sap with wood where you can carry on a conversation without yelling.
Thanks------------Maineboiler

Mark B
12-04-2017, 07:39 PM
I don't know about switching, but I had a home heating unit that was a combination wood and oil. I could burn either or I could light my wood using the oil burner. I suppose an arch could be built that could operate similar.

That said my wife's family has always preferred syrup made by boiling with wood. It seems to have a unique flavor that it takes on in conjunction with boiling by wood fired arch.

Sunday Rock Maple
12-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Sell the wood and use the money to install sound proofing around the burner.

unc23win
12-04-2017, 07:55 PM

My thoughts exactly!

johnallin
12-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Or, sell the burner and use the money to buy some new saw chains ;-)

maineboiler
12-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Good advice. I’ve regained my senses and will look into sound proofing. Great idea. Thanks

heus
12-06-2017, 06:24 AM
I would never go back to wood. You made a good choice to invest in sound deadening. My leader oil fired arch has an insulated cover on wheels that goes over the entire oil burner unit. It works pretty well.

wiam
12-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Good advice. I’ve regained my senses and will look into sound proofing. Great idea. Thanks

I used a plastic 55 gallon barrel to cover my 701 on my 3x12. Cut top off and a slot up the side
far enough for the burner tube. Also had to cut extra out on bottom as it cut down on air. Make sure whatever you build does not reduce air to burner.

maineboiler
12-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Thanks to all. Good advice. Looking forward to the season