PDA

View Full Version : Maple sugar

tonka
12-03-2017, 07:10 PM
I'm thinking about venturing into making maple sugar. For some of you that produce and market maple sugar, what have you guys experienced when you first started making/selling maple sugar? Thanks!!

Dennis H.
12-04-2017, 03:15 AM
I had to work at getting people use to the idea of using something other than white or brown sugar in recipes.
Once they understood what maple sugar is and how it could be used they have become repeat customers.

I also have started to promote it to people who smoke meats, it is a great way to add sweetness and flavor.

Packaging is something to think about. How large of containers are you looking to sell. It can be in simple season style shaker container. I use those plastic deli type containers.
The small ones I can get 6oz in, the medium size I can get 12oz. I did those two sizes for a few years and then this year I added a 1 lb vacuum sealed bag to my product list.
The 1lb has been a big hit for people who are looking to replace white and brown sugar in their homes.

Good luck.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-04-2017, 06:42 AM
We had some to sell at a local craft fair for the first time this weekend. Quite a few inquiries about it but the price is so much higher than regular sugar it can be hard to convince people. Didn't sell any which surprised me. I think the suggestion about those who smoke meats is a good idea. We use quart and pint mason jars for 1 lb and 1/2 lb. packaging. Its not something we ship. In one of the other forums, a member listed a couple sites for the bags. That may be something we look in to if we can find a market for it.
See link: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?31095-Making-Granulated-Maple-Sugar

tonka
12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all your input! With packaging sugar, the container doesn't have to be sterilized correct? I've thinking about mason jars like stated in the link posted and also plastic vacuum bags in one pounders, or find some good plastic containers as well.

tonka
12-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Here is a bag that I think would work well for sugar, stands up, scalable and looks like it is also a resealble.
https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19168/Plastic-Retail-Food-Bags/Stand-Up-Barrier-Pouches-5-x-8-x-2-1-2

unc23win
12-04-2017, 03:28 PM
The resealable bags like that are great for larger amounts.

mainebackswoodssyrup
12-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Those bags are pretty nice. For the mason jars I do put the caps in boiling water and put the jars in the oven for a few minutes to sterilize because its easy to do. Never a bad idea but I'm not sure its necessary or how you would do it with the bags.

Dennis H.
12-04-2017, 06:47 PM
I cut my vac bags from a roll. the rolls are 11" wide and I cut them to 7". I seal them as close to the edge as possible for as little waste as possible.

I do like those bags listed above. not a bad price for each, about 15 cents each. How much by weight will fit in the size that you posted?
It is nice that once filled it can be heat sealed, and easy open with the tear off top. It gots me thinking!!
I could do away with the deli containers and use the resealable bags.

tonka
12-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Here's another link to the various sizes one can get with the oz the bag can hold. I like how they stand up so they're easy to display and packaging. https://www.uline.com/BL_75/Stand-Up-Barrier-Pouches

Super Sapper
12-05-2017, 05:53 AM
http://pbfy.com/product-category/food-packaging/stand-up-pouches/

This is where I get mine. I use them for maple coated nuts and sometimes sugar.

tonka
12-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Super sapper: your source for bags had a wider verity of sizes vs by uline where I was looking.

Dennis H.
12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I noticed that the link that SuperSapper gave they offer free samples of their products. I may have to request a few different sizes of their self standing bags to see which size will work for different weights of products.

Sugarmaker
12-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Using 8 oz shaker jars (plastic) from Burch.
Good luck with your sugar.
regards,
Chris