PDA

View Full Version : sugar content

Greenthumb
03-11-2004, 09:12 AM
I just picked up a hydrometer this week and tested my sap. I only have red maples to tap I only checked 10 trees indidual and all where just over 2% maybe 2.1 when I check the sap in the storage tank is it has been at 2% is that good for red maples?

thanks

MaineMapleDave
03-11-2004, 09:52 AM
That's pretty typical for what I get from my reds. Usually 2% to maybe 2-1/4% overall. I don't check individual trees, just the overall sugar content of the sap after I gather it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Greenthumb,

I have about 275 taps and all but about 10 are sugars and I can't even get quite 2% from my sugars. I guess it has to do with me being further south. Seems the further you go, the lower the sugar content. Most of my sugars have plenty of crown and are well spaced, so I guess it is the south part. :?

Good luck.

ebourassa
03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I am only getting around 2 if I am lucky on my sugar maples, they were doing better before the week of warm whether hit, Also alot more sugar sand on this last run.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Looks like the sugar content will be low down here again next spring because we have had very little sunshine and a ton of rain the past 2 months. The lower the amount of sunshine, the lower the sugar content as the trees produce sugar in the leaves from sunshine and photosynthesis. Content was low last year and we had tons and tons of rain down here for months last year and a very low amount of sunshine.

That's for what it is worth..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-16-2004, 08:19 AM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Kevin,

Jeremy is correct. I will have about 450 taps for next year and about 10 of those taps will be red maples and all the rest sugar. I always average right at 50 to 1 ratio which works out with using the 87.3 formula to 1.75% sugar content. I always finish my syrup 1 degree thicker as customers always like the thicker syrup better which costs aprox 2 ounces per gallon of syrup, but it works out better for customer satisfaction.

Something for you to ponder as you know a lot about the scientific end of maple syrup. It has been mentioned on the trader in prior posts that the further south you go, the better the flavor. I won't go there as I am the most Southern producer on the trader, but I would lean to it as being correct as I have sample a lot of syrup produced in the southern areas and a lot of northern syrup. The syrup down here has an excellent flavor and I never have nearly as much sugar sand as you seem to have up north. I guess it may have something to do with lower sugar content, but you would think that would be the opposite effect as I have to cook off more to make a gallon. Chew on that a while and I'll wait to see what you know or think about it. :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-17-2004, 07:48 AM
post edited

mapleman3
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Kevin.. 1/2 of my trees are reds, I was told(not to float my own boat :wink: )from many a conosuir of syrup from Ma. and some from VT that this year my syrup was the best they EVER had, this comming from folks who would only buy VT state light amber(cuz they think thats the only place that makes the best syrup) :wink: ... I switched alot of folks from light this year to medium and even dark, the taste (could have been the year)was outstanding, I was also told that I should have entered some in a contest(that comming from a few sugarers)...So you could imagine how that made me feel especially with using a real evap for the first time.. Well anyway, I think that the reds do add taste to the syrup, yes they are alittle less % and maybe the boiling just a bit more added flavor and carmalizing who knows but I'll tell ya, it sure was a good tasting year for me!!!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-17-2004, 01:34 PM
post edited

mapleman3
09-17-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm sure some of the syrup in past years was not as good... and this year I did loose a batch that got "burnt up" I tried to boil the sap as soon as possible, and my darkest was after the warm weather set in and the sap did have a smell to it for sure almost a fermenting smell, but the syrup still was tasty and sold easily with a sample for customers to try first. hopefully this next season is great tasting as well. I'm thinking with the more experience , stainless tanks, and running oil, I can control things and boil the sap even quicker(fresher)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Kevin,

I have never had a sap hydrometer or refractomer and don't ever plan on investing in one. A large percentage of my taps are on trees that are 24", 30" and some even 36+ inches in diameter. Nearly All of the areas that I tap the trees are spaced very good and have good crowns. They are either in maple bushes or in areas that have been timbered in the last 10 years. From what I have found out from other producers down south, it seems the farther south you go, the lower the sugar content. I don't have a ton of trees to choose between, so if I run a line by a 30" sugar, I will tap it even if the sugar content was lower. I don't think there is anything I can do to improve the sugar content, it just comes with the territory if you know what I mean.

I don't lease any of my trees and all the trees are owned by other people. I tap on 4 different properties owned by 4 different owners. All but one of the owners are direct or indirect family members. None of the owners ever ask for anything, but I always supply each of them with plenty of syrup. :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-17-2004, 02:02 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Kevin,

I get 1.75% from the 87.3 formula. I take 87.3 and divide it by 50 and it comes out to 1.75%. This seems the norm down here and we don't refer to it by percentage, but by the ratio of sap to syrup such as 50 to 1. No one I know down here has high enough sugar content to even worry about the trees since everyone's sugar content is close to the same. There are about 6 large producers and sever small producers in a 30 to 40 mile area in Virginia which is a couple of hours from my operation and in that area they probably make 6000 to 8000 gallons @ year between the producers and to the best of my knowledge, they all have about the same sugar content as I do.

Unfortunately, but I am just glad for the opportunity and the health and strength to be able to enjoy it! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Kevin,

You are right there, but I always just calculate it for the entire season. It would be too hard to calculate it day by day. I know it varies from day to day a little, but overall it seems to stay close to that ratio and percent. :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-19-2004, 09:06 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Kevin,

Actually I keep track of total sap boiled for entire season and divide it by amount of final product less +/- for any lost sap/syrup. It has always worked pretty good, but with the hydrometer, I will probably play with it every day! :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-20-2004, 06:58 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Kevin,

Thanks a bunch and you bet I will enjoy. :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Kevin,

Thanks so much for the generosity and I will put it to good use! :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-23-2004, 06:42 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Kevin,

I haven't seen it yet, but I will let you know Sun if it arrives the next couple of days. I am heading out early tommorrow afternoon for PA to get an airtight front and blower and a stainless hood system for my evaporator. Also got to pick up a few cases of jugs for next year as he carries WV jugs and a box or two of tubing to finish up everything. :D

Thanks! :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-26-2004, 07:41 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Kevin,

I looked at it, but that is about the extent. I decided I would put it up and keep it till next spring and not use it till then. It was tempting to play with, but I figured I would probably just break it. :oops:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-30-2004, 08:24 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Very interesting! Regardless it will be fun to play with! :D :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-05-2004, 11:56 AM
post edited

syrupmaker
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Brandon....Have you played with the hydrometer Kevin sent you yet? Just wondered what you found that you were running for SC?

Rick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Rick,

I did use it once and it tested at 1.6%. Seems a little low, but the temp of the sap may have been a little higher than recommended also. Might play with it again some more this weekend. I am about normal, 50 to 1 ratio which would put me around 1.75%. :?