PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood advise

chuck
11-21-2017, 10:26 AM
I just added a hood for my front pan to my 2x6. I already have a hood on my back pan with a pre-heater. Any issues with plumbing them together so I only have 1 drain?

maple flats
11-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Mine are plumbed together for the condensate and are physically connected to make 1 unit, however I have 2 steam stacks.

johnallin
11-21-2017, 08:22 PM
I have the same setup on my 2x6. Steam hood and pre-heater. The syrup pan hood has a small piece of ss pipe welded on that opens into the gutter on the syrup hood and extends out about 2". I drilled a hole into the flue pan hood that accepts this piece of pipe. Mine is a Smoky Lake and hangs off the steam hood with a French cleat.
The syrup pan hood then drains into the flue pan hood.

chuck
11-22-2017, 07:07 AM
thanks guys

maple flats
11-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Mine is a Thor hood, the flue hood and the syrup hood bolt together , with the syrup hood 14-16" or so above the syrup pan. On the flue pan hood there is an outlet on all 4 corners and on the syrup hood there are 1 at each of the front corners. I have plugs in those not used, and then 1 from the syrup hood have a copper drain pipe that feeds into the flue hood. Then at one of the back corners on the flue hood I have an insert adapter to which I have a length of clear PVC tubing that reaches down to a bucket I keep at that corner. The gutters collect and drain off all condensate in the hood, as well as from the steam stacks and from the drain tray under the pre-heater.

chuck
11-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Thanks Dave. That is exactly how I plumbed it up yesterday. In my mind it made perfect sense but I was just concerned about maybe too much water going through the back hood and overflowing. It is just me overthinking again. Thanks again!

maple flats
11-27-2017, 09:32 AM
I get a solid stream flowing out into a 5 gal bucket when the rig is in full boil. It gives me about 1.75-2.5 gal/hr. My hood gutters are 1.5" wide and 1.5" tall on both hoods, they will not overflow with just 2.5 gph flow. Most comes from the flue pan hood, with the pre-heater in it, that's on a 3x8 with a 3x3 syrup and 3x5 flue pan. A 2x6 will get about half that.