PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free Evaporator Pans

markcasper
11-21-2017, 01:20 AM
My wife came home from a show on Saturday, selling syrup of course, and she said someone asked if our syrup was boiled in gluten free pans. I laughed and chuckled and told my wife she has to be joking, you are not serious. I laughed it off. The next day I was going to work and thought....wait, is there the possibility of gluten in SS? Now I am concerned. She told the customer there wasn't, so they bought syrup. I have never heard of this, and where are customers getting gluten cooking pans? Are we going to have labels now to ensure that it wasn't cooked in a gluten pan? What is the world coming too? Someone please share if their smarter than I!

phil-t
11-21-2017, 04:05 AM
We have a 6 YO grandson with Celiacs (gluten alergy), his mom is pretty particular. about food preparation. There are other reasons for some folks to be concerned about gluten as well. Here is a pretty good article about it: Unraveling The Gluten-Free Trend

I would say, (https://thefern.org/2015/02/gluten-enigma/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAus_QBRDgARIsAIRGNGj0zWbIWZXpIZ9w4U6 iwaU7v0Renl25wGIhc8ON9hja7Qn-DWC0qoQaAmKjEALw_wcB)unless you have some product with gluten, or utensils used in preparation of foods containing gluten, in your sugarhouse, you should be safe. The sap/syrup is gluten-free - as is the process; just need to be sure the environment is as well. Labeling as gluten-free may be something for the industry, not sure how that would work.

DrTimPerkins
11-21-2017, 08:42 AM
SS has no gluten. The issue arises in food plants that process foods containing gluten in equipment, and then process foods without gluten. Unless scrupulous cleaning procedures are followed, there could be some carry-over (very slight risk typically). Same thing with other allergens. If you process nuts in the facility, there is always the chance of contamination of a nut-free product with nut protein residues. Food plants often will have different equipment, sometimes different rooms, and occasionally entirely different processing plants for these issues.

As long as you're not processing materials containing potential allergens with your evaporator (or any of your sugaring equipment), then there should be no problem.

markcasper
11-21-2017, 03:18 PM

markcasper
11-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks Tim for the words of encouragement. On the contrary, my belief is that there is more than gluten issues going on.

https://grannygoodfood.blogspot.com/2014/03/gluten-intolerance-is-really-glyphosate.html

I know for a fact the widespread use of glyphosate is happening. Its standard practice to spray it 2 and 3 times (I have witnessed 4 times even) on the same ground in the same year. I know farmers who will shove it in your face and flaunt their use of glyphosate. They belong to the cool and hip group who thinks that anyone that questions it is a dipstick from ancient times. And spraying it directly on wheat and other grains, and then harvesting one week later is downright unethical in my opinion. Explain to me how this crap is not in/or on the seed that gets consumed by humans and animals?
Notice from the arcticle that glyphosate used on malting barely or any brewing grain is completely forbidden. Gee, I wonder why?

DrTimPerkins
11-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Totally different subject. The misuse of any type of insecticide is wrong. Note that includes using IPA to clean maple tubing in the U.S.

jmayerl
11-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Note that includes using IPA to clean maple tubing in the U.S.

I can't even stand drinking an IPA....way to hoppy for me; certainly wouldn't want to clean my tubing with it!............lol

Flat Lander Sugaring
11-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Leinenkugal summer shandy is IPA free:lol::lol: