PDA

View Full Version : who's ready? could you go out and tap tomorrow?

Mike Van
11-18-2017, 05:30 AM
Other than needing a new 20V drill, ready to rumble here in Kent

Cjadamec
11-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Still waiting on a delivery of 3/16 tubing and taps from CDL. Figured this year I will make my 100ft of elevation change do the work for me. Worried my diy evaporator (that's not built yet) might get swamped with more sap than it can boil.

Weather has been perfect lately tho.

Woodsrover
12-02-2017, 05:25 AM
I think I could. New arch and evaporator are bricked and ready to go. Going to give it a test boil tomorrow. New milk tank in place and just needs another cleaning. Lines and buckets all set to go.

Still thinking about how to cool my milk tank. Can't find a refrigeration guy that's interested in getting it back up and cooling. Seriously considering calling it with a water chiller unit. Its either that or frozen blocks of sap. On the fence....

buckeye gold
12-02-2017, 07:33 AM
I am absolutely ready to go. Just finished putting up 107 taps on 3/16th tubing, cleaned the shack and equipment, got supplies,set collection tanks and got wood stacked at the shack all I need is the right weather and I'm a go. I have 40 taps on one hill I will tap for fall/late winter to make some early syrup. I will probably tap those trees in two weeks and hope to run them until second week of January, then a 2-3 week break and all in for regular season. It' on baby!

Wanabe1972
12-02-2017, 02:36 PM
A good day of cleaning equipment I'd be ready.

morningstarfarm
12-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Nope...not even at gunpoint....

wnybassman
12-02-2017, 04:18 PM
100% ready to go right now, although I am hoping the season doesn't start this year until it is supposed to. I'd like to get a little ice fishing in this winter.

spud
12-04-2017, 05:31 AM
I am ready to go. I have a feeling we may see sap flow for a week this January. I bought my spouts already because I was told they are selling fast right now. Good luck everyone.

Spud

Tweegs
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Ready to go??

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
HEHEHEHE!

HOHOHOHO!!

Noticed yesterday a big ole fat tree came down on one of the mains.
Been meaning to replace that little 100’ stretch anyway.

Need to repair a tank.

Some electronics to fool around with.

See if’n I can’t get the RO to quit leaking.

Wood to split yet, always the wood.

But I am closer than I’ve ever been at this point.

Cjadamec
12-09-2017, 10:42 AM
First snow of the season today. The workers and I finally made it in the woods to start running the 3/16 tubing.

scottdevine
12-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Mike,
This is an amusing question...since mid october, i have *made all shack modifications, and cleaned it up, *ordered RO parts and assembled, *ordered all sap bags and cut all the new PVC pipe I will use for this year, *decided to give tubing a try (which arrived this evening, and i am making my 3' drop lines as I answer your post), *all bottles have been received (25 cases), and lastly < * i have modified my filtering method for 2018! So yea, I am beyond ready! I ope to connect with you this year in Kent at some point during a boil...remind me what your typical boil schedules are. Im hoping with the use of the RO system this year, i will have a day here and there to visit folks in CT sugaring.

hodorskib
12-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Scott - with the number of taps you are putting out and changing to 3/16" tubing you will be lucky to sleep a few hours a night once things start rolling. I am ready to go as well but hoping for a normal season starting in February.

ennismaple
12-12-2017, 12:45 PM
2000 feet of 2" vacuum line unrolled, stretched and wire tied: Check
1000 feet of 1" mainline up on new wire, tensioned and wire tied: Check
600(ish) taps of new 5/16" laterals stretched, droplines cut in and manifolds installed: Check

Still lots of odds and ends, including installing our new electric releaser and re-installing the high pressure pump for the RO, but otherwise not in too bad shape.

Mike Van
12-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Right now I guess we don't have to worry about tapping tomorrow, as winter is here, through the end of the month it looks. I lease some taps on state property right across the road from me, and the paperwork will get mailed tomorrow, still don't have that 20v drill, but Santa might -

scottdevine
12-15-2017, 01:11 PM
he he he he that's what the RO is for...remember? YOLO baby :o

Stiets
12-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Mike,
This is an amusing question...since mid october, i have *made all shack modifications, and cleaned it up, *ordered RO parts and assembled, *ordered all sap bags and cut all the new PVC pipe I will use for this year, *decided to give tubing a try (which arrived this evening, and i am making my 3' drop lines as I answer your post), *all bottles have been received (25 cases), and lastly < * i have modified my filtering method for 2018! So yea, I am beyond ready! I ope to connect with you this year in Kent at some point during a boil...remind me what your typical boil schedules are. Im hoping with the use of the RO system this year, i will have a day here and there to visit folks in CT sugaring.

Scott, you are making me feel lazy and like a slacker, I need to down shift and get going here. Hopefully that RO can keep up with all those taps. Thanks for the buckets and apple pie buddy!!!! ;)

spud
12-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Making another pass around the woods this week in hopes of getting all trees off lines. Every time i turn around another tree lands on a mainline. I removed a few more taps just to please the Organic inspector. In all I still have around 8000-8500 taps but I will know for sure when the tapping is done.I plan to start tapping on January 8th with the help of my son who is home from college. If the snow is not too deep we should get 1000 tapped per day. Good luck everyone.

Spud

buckeye gold
12-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Ready, heck yeah....I've boiled the last three days I put my fall taps in last Saturday and started boiling Sunday.

51 cub
12-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Scott, I'd sure like to get over there this season to see your setup if we can get together around work schedules. I can remember giving you my phone number, it seems like yesterday and keep reading about improvements since. Sometimes I think I get my exercise reading your posts

Maple Man 85
12-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Not this guy! I'll be installing drops right up until we start tapping. My 1st 40 is nearly done just 500-600 more drops to go bringing the total on that parcel to 2,400ish taps. I've got a logging crew in my other 40 starting next week and I told them if the equipment sits too long I might mistake it for a maple.:lol:

YTD 2017... Built new 30x45 sugarhouse, built 3 pump houses, refurbished two SS tanks, Moved and set up 4x16 evaporator, trenched 7,000 feet of line, installed 12,000 feet of 1", 75 800 foot rolls of 3/16, 1,750 drops in, 40 bags of wood cut, mastered cream, butter, candy and sucker production, USDA and FDA certifications complete and built customer base to support our expected volume... I haven't slept in months...:o

fishman
12-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Ya I gotta get going. Only 4 months till we so here. I can easily procrastinate for 3 months. Thinking of going to a drop flue instead of my flat 2x6. Then I'll need more taps, better filter, etc. maybe I'll go back to procrastinating

scottdevine
12-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Scott, I'd sure like to get over there this season to see your setup if we can get together around work schedules. I can remember giving you my phone number, it seems like yesterday and keep reading about improvements since. Sometimes I think I get my exercise reading your posts Absolutely! once i set taps, i;; post my boil schedule...stop over any time!

51 cub
01-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Absolutely! once i set taps, i;; post my boil schedule...stop over any time!

I'm going to make it a point this year, thanks!

Brad W Wi
01-07-2018, 06:59 AM
As soon as a season is done, I get everything ready. Wood, bottles and all the little things. I don't want to be caught with my pants down.