PDA

View Full Version : New CDL 2 x 6 Questions

Urban Sugarmaker
11-17-2017, 05:23 PM
I am "hosting" a brand new CDL 2 x 6 classic evaporator for next season. Long story but I jumped at the opportunity to have a new rig at my place. It wanted to be used and its owner won't have a sugar house built for a while. I can hardly wait to move it with bricks in it some time in the future. Ugh.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1) How long should the mortar cure before a test boil. The weather has cooled so I will be using light bulbs to help keep it warmer while it cures.

2) Should the stack pieces be secured with screws at each joint? Do I need to secure it with cables above the roof? Probably 1.5 4' sections above the roof penetration point.

3) Anyone have a picture of how to hook up the cables for the stack cap?

Thanks

maple flats
11-17-2017, 07:51 PM
As long as you have the time, the refractory holding the bricks should cure a week or so. You do want the bulb in there to keep it above freezing until cured. Once the week is past, start a small fire each day (you must have water or sap in the pans to do it) After 2 times, make the fire a little bigger and again go bigger on the fire about 2 more days. While few get that specific it helps cure the refractory better. Refractory does not truly cure with just time, it needs the heat of a fire but if you start too large of a fire too soon it's not as good.
For the stack, in many states including NYS you need to brace it if it is 5' or more out of the roof and the cap counts in the height, thus 6' needs guy wires or other bracing.