PDA

View Full Version : Firebricking finally. Give me your technique.

cjf12
11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Finally got my pans off and hood suspended. Now I am ready to brick it. I am going to order ceramic blanket for it but want to know how you would go about to brick. Mortar or not? How far from flue? It is a 3x8 drop flue. Read you should caulk all sheet metal seems. Did you?
Slightly clueless here and also have already stretched the budget beyond wifes limit. Give your thoughts. All appreciated.

maple maniac65
11-07-2017, 07:15 PM
When I did mine under the flues I put 1 inch ceramic board throughout entire fire box. Full brick Monterey and cut to fit tight upto rails. That left 1 inch under the flues so I then ran ceramic blanket on top. 2 inches on the ramp. Have to replace every couple of years. Arch 8s 15 years old and still looks brand new.

VTnewguy
11-08-2017, 06:48 AM
We bricked our fire box using high temp mortar. The person we bought the arch from had just set in the fire bricks with no motar. The mortar really helps set in everything into a combustion chamber. You should only have to brick the firebox. On the the flue pan we set bricks on the sides and filled with sand. I personally wouldn't worry about chalking metal seams but it's up to you.

cjf12
11-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Set bricks on side with sand? Bricks tight with sand to fill cracks with no mortar or with big gaps to use less bricks?

cjf12
11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Sorry. Just reread without being rushed. Bricks on sides with sand on bottom. Got it. What are the benefits to that? Save some brick. What else?

VTnewguy
11-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Sorry. Just reread without being rushed. Bricks on sides with sand on bottom. Got it. What are the benefits to that? Save some brick. What else?
I think the biggest benefit would be the cost. The firebox definitely use the fire brick and hi temp mortar. Farther back underneath the pans the sand is cheaper. CDL has a YouTube video on how to set it up.