PDA

View Full Version : on demand hot water heater

cjf12
10-30-2017, 06:39 PM
Anyone got a good on demand propane hot water heater they can recommend?
I have limited electric service but really want hot water for cleanups. Is 3-4 gal per min. enough? Hardly gonna get much pressure out a garden hose at that. Thats what "cottage/cabin" heaters run anyways. Not looking to spend a fortune.

Wanabe1972
10-30-2017, 09:02 PM
I got mine out of an old camper that was getting scrapped. Mine needs no power to work you just have to be able to pump water through it. I use a shurflow pump from the same camper and drop a line in my permeate tank. great for cleaning up and i mounted it up toward the ceiling. When im done i open a valve and it drains outside because i don t heat the sugar house. I thought about putting it in the RO closet that is heated but probably wont. Ive got 75 bucks in the whole setup.

maple flats
10-31-2017, 07:59 AM
I have had 2 over the years, both run off my bulk propane tank. I started with a 1.3 gpm unit, it worked ok but I decided I wanted more flow. I then got a 2.3 gpm one and it is ideal. At 2.3 gpm it heats 35F water up to about 110-115F. I use a 120v Sureflo pump and use a ball valve to regulate the flow. I heat permeate from my permeate tank, after the season, I haul city water and put it in that tank. My Sureflo pumps about 3.3 gpm at full flow, that gives me about 100F. I use that for cleaning up, if more heat is needed I just close the ball valve (it is in the feed line to the HW heater) a little.
This is the one I have: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eccotemp-l10-portable-outdoor-tankless-water-heater?a=1588404
You just need to remove a drain plug on the bottom to prevent damage from freezing in cold weather. It heats very well. If I ever change it, I'll get the next one up that uses 120V ignition rather than 2 D batteries. The batteries last 8-12 months with the use mine gets if on alk. batteries

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-31-2017, 08:23 AM
I have a Point of Use 8 gallon hot water heater made by Bosch and it really works awesome. It is 110 and supposed to use about 10 cents per day in electricity. It has a temperature control and it is shaped like a box. It was about $ 200 at Lowes and is about 18" x18" x 18". I always have plenty of hot water and keep breaker flipped off except when I'm there working.

Bucket Head
10-31-2017, 09:20 PM
More info needed. Can it be drained at the end of each boiling session? If it's not drainable than a non-heated area is out. And depending on the "limited electric service", that might make it a no-go too.

cjf12
11-01-2017, 04:33 AM
Draining is a must. I am not going to heat it. I already designed the water to drain into a frost free box when not being used. As far as electric. I have it but know with everything else like the RO, filter press, blower, lights and other little things it going to be pushing it. I will probably use a buddy heater to keep ro from freezing but will pull it in the house out of season.

bill m
11-03-2017, 08:17 PM
If you have not bought one yet I have one for sale. It is a Bosch 125FX - LP. Excellent condition, $100 and it's yours.